Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe on Tuesday released Lightroom CC v1.1 for macOS, bringing some additional features and enhancements to the photo editing suite, including support for new cameras and lenses.

Top of the new feature list is an enhanced Auto mode for automatically applying optimized edits to images. Located in the Light panel in the Detail view, the mode now uses Adobe's advanced Sensei machine learning to intelligently apply what it considers to be the best edits. By design, Auto adjusts a number of slider controls, including Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks, Saturation, and Vibrance.

lightroom.jpg

According to Adobe, the neural nets underlying Auto mode have been trained with thousands of professionally shot and manually edited photos to evaluate and correct an image. In an additional tweak, the Auto feature now also includes the ability to optimize the adjustments of the photo even after cropping has been applied.  

Elsewhere, it's now possible to use Tone Curve in the Light panel to fine-tune the tonal range and contrast in photos, while the Split Toning controls in the Effects panel have been enhanced to let users create a split tone effect in which a different color is applied to Shadows and Highlights.

split-tone-800x300.jpg

In addition, users can now adjust the date and time of an individual photo or a group of photos. The feature aims to be useful in scenarios where users need to change the capture time of photos after clicking them. Meanwhile, fullscreen mode can now be activated from within the Detail view by pressing the F key, and the lists of supported cameras and lens profiles has been updated.

The new Auto mode is also available over on Adobe Lightroom for iOS, where the quality of HDR capturing has been improved. The mobile app now also lets users add watermarks during export, ACR 10.1 has been integrated, and a number of bug fixes and speed improvements have been applied.

shift-date-range-lightroom.jpg

Lightroom CC is available through Adobe's Creative Cloud Photography plan, which bundles Photoshop and Lightroom together for $9.99 per month, or through Adobe's complete Creative Cloud plan, featuring all Adobe software for $49.99 per month.

Lightroom for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [iPad: Direct Link] [iPhone: Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Lightroom CC v1.1 for Desktop Brings Enhanced Auto Mode, Split Tone Effect, and More

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'm still really confused. In my Creative Cloud menu-let, it says "Adobe Classic CC" which I don't have access to since I'm not a CS subscriber. I do have Adobe Lightroom CC (2015) which I own outright but doesn't have an update available as Adobe already stated which is no more updates will be released for it.

Then there's Lightroom CC which is what this article appears to be about which is a web-based editing environment, right? Where you pay to upload all of your RAW images to Adobe which would take me years and cost me far more than $9.99 a month as I'd have to buy an addition few terabytes of storage which will appear to get regular updates going forward.

I really don't like Adobe has 3 Lightroom applications before you even add in the iPad and iPhone application.

Reactions: John.B

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Adobe is like the opposite of apple. When a new phone is released and all I hear about is performance, I’m like meh. When adobe releases an update and it adds new features, I’m like, “For the love of all that is sacred, please improve performance!” and then I’m usually let down.

davemacdo

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2015
Wichita, KS
I'm still really confused. In my Creative Cloud menu-let, it says "Adobe Classic CC" which I don't have access to since I'm not a CS subscriber. I do have Adobe Lightroom CC (2015) which I own outright but doesn't have an update available as Adobe already stated which is no more updates will be released for it.

Then there's Lightroom CC which is what this article appears to be about which is a web-based editing environment, right? Where you pay to upload all of your RAW images to Adobe which would take me years and cost me far more than $9.99 a month as I'd have to buy an addition few terabytes of storage which will appear to get regular updates going forward.

I really don't like Adobe has 3 Lightroom applications before you even add in the iPad and iPhone application.

I'm not sure where you're getting the web thing. There's no mention of a web-based anything in the article that I saw.

This year, Adobe completely re-did Lightroom for the first time. Throughout the Creative Cloud era, Lightroom has always been lagging behind. It's UI wasn't even retina. That version still exists under the name Lightroom Classic for those who want to use it because the new version is very different. The new version has a completely rethought UI and as you observe, has lots of cloud features. The most interesting cloud feature is the corresponding iPad app, which is enabled by the cloud sync features. (It would be really painful to move your RAWs back and forth all the time.) Photo editing and touchup on Lightroom CC for iOS is really delightful.

You're never going to get these features in CC 2015, unfortunately. I've been an Adobe CC subscriber since CC launched, and I've found it to be worth every penny. But I understand that it's more than many users want to pay. I'm hopeful that the wizards at Serif/Affinity can do a Lightroom competitor as well as they've done with a Photoshop and Illustrator competitor.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
@davemacdo - can I buy Adobe Lightroom Classic CC standalone w/o a subscription?

Also, can I use the new Lightroom w/o any web-based syncing or features sending none of my data to Adobe and forgoing any iOS companion features?

I don't make money in my photography. It's just a hobby and if I lost my job, I don't want to lose my Lightroom library just because I have to cut back on subscriptions.

I want a desktop Camera RAW editor w/ tagging, locations, albums and local storage but I want to see gradual improvements and for sure, I don't want to update my OS and find it doesn't launch anymore because I think Lightroom 2015 is completely EOL so no further updates will be made including support for new cameras.

The way I understood it, Adobe Lightroom CC (non-classic) is a desktop app but it requires an always on internet connection to work since all of your photos are stored in Adobe's cloud.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Tried the new “machine learning” auto fix on the iPhone. It’s very, very good... at making all images look like aggressive HDR. It is especially raising the shadows way too high if you ask me.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
glad to see the time shift added in. I'm tired of my old scans/digital photos that show up as "1901"

davemacdo

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2015
Wichita, KS
@adamjackson: I don't think you can get many current Adobe CC products as standalone. There are a few exceptions (notably Acrobat), but in general, you need to do the subscription. I know a lot of folks are constitutionally opposed to subscription software, but for some things, I actually prefer it.

I also don't make money on photography, but I do find that I need each of Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Premiere, and Audition at least once every month for one thing or another. I've been looking for possible replacements, and I've come very close to ditching CC for a combination of Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro. There's still a couple of things that keep me in CC, though there are fewer every year.

With the new Lightroom, you can choose to not sync your stuff to the cloud, and I believe there's also the option to selectively sync parts of the library. It's also a new library, so you could do a free trial and not affect your current library. It's also available as part of the special photography-only subscription, which comes with very minimal cloud storage at $9.99 a month. Your photos stay on your computer, so if you stop paying, you'll still have them. And as with all Adobe stuff, the CC app checks your subscription once a month (the frequency of your subscription payment). It's not continuously connecting unless you're using cloud services (some of which are actually pretty darn cool).

Classic will likely stop being maintained in the near future, so I'd recommend that you start looking for a replacement either from Adobe or someone else, soon.

Reactions: adamjackson

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Classic will likely stop being maintained in the near future, so I'd recommend that you start looking for a replacement either from Adobe or someone else, soon.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. This is my concern for sure. I have images back to the 90s among other things on a 60 terabyte NAS in the basement. If there's an alternative, I'd like to know. I'd prefer to pay $200 once because Adobe Lightroom at $10 a month would have cost me $100 more than I paid for the standalone version in 2015. I don't use Photoshop and video work is done in FCP so financially, the $10 a month thing doesn't have any value at all except having a current version of Lightroom w/ camera support.

If you or others know of a Lightroom alternative with great RAW tools, I'd love to hear about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.