Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5422&tag=nl.e589

Earlier this week someone posted a diatribe against Adobe for being lazy and for crashing browsers because of the bug cited in this article.

Adobe is now correcting the bug.

Not suggesting this is a reason to put flash on the iPad. Or even being presumptuous to imply that Apple's kick in the pants to Adobe over the iPad and "being lazy" was the reason for the pending fix.

But it does appear that Adobe wants to make sure it's known they are working on issues. Too little too late? Maybe. Time will tell.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
With regard to the "Adobe vs. Apple issue" - fwiw Adobe has said multiple times that it is willing to work with Apple to solve the issues with Flash (etc), but it seems Apple is not willing to put in the effort on their end.

Too often it seems that people are drinking the Apple Koolaid, that it's everyone else's fault, and Apple will bring about world peace if everyone else would just roll over and do things their way. Please.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I get the feeling that the bridge has not only been burnt, but blown up, and the remains sent via nuclear missile into the sun.

But that's just my impression of the situation.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
With regard to the "Adobe vs. Apple issue" - fwiw Adobe has said multiple times that it is willing to work with Apple to solve the issues with Flash (etc), but it seems Apple is not willing to put in the effort on their end.

Too often it seems that people are drinking the Apple Koolaid, that it's everyone else's fault, and Apple will bring about world peace if everyone else would just roll over and do things their way. Please.

I agree with you. From a PR angle - it wasn't a good day for Adobe though when Jobs' is quoted as saying Adobe is lazy. True or not.

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007

Adobe SAYS they're willing to work with Apple, but they've also only fixed a handful of the bug reports that Apple has sent to them over the past few years.

They say "Well we can't fix the others because the bug reports are incomplete." And then we ask "Why?" And they say "Well Flash has to go through some APIs that aren't supported in OS X, But when we release 10.1 it will get better.

So in the end it seems to be Adobe who is stalling, because all they have to do to "work" with Apple, is fix their shieeeet.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5422&tag=nl.e589

Earlier this week someone posted a diatribe against Adobe for being lazy and for crashing browsers because of the bug cited in this article.

Adobe is now correcting the bug.

Not suggesting this is a reason to put flash on the iPad. Or even being presumptuous to imply that Apple's kick in the pants to Adobe over the iPad and "being lazy" was the reason for the pending fix.

But it does appear that Adobe wants to make sure it's known they are working on issues. Too little too late? Maybe. Time will tell.

Apple doesn't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg--namely the App store. If they allowed Flash content, it would be "game over" for the high volume and profits of the stupid games sold via the App store.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Apple doesn't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg--namely the App store. If they allowed Flash content, it would be "game over" for the high volume and profits of the stupid games sold via the App store.

What kind of nonsense is that? Most games, especially the ones charged for, wouldn't be develeoped with Flash. They also wouldn't perform near as well. Also, these Flash-based games wouldn't be available to iPod touch users a lot of the time if they are cloud-based apps.

Some developer needs to get in here and back me up or talk me down. I'd like to know what the reality is of Flash-based apps on mobile devices.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
What kind of nonsense is that? Most games, especially the ones charged for, wouldn't be develeoped with Flash. They also wouldn't perform near as well. Also, these Flash-based games wouldn't be available to iPod touch users a lot of the time if they are cloud-based apps.

Some developer needs to get in here and back me up or talk me down. I'd like to know what the reality is of Flash-based apps on mobile devices.

You can already create Flash based apps for the Appstore(once CS5 comes out) and it performs very well because its compiled natively down to machine code. Flash player/plugin on the other hand is interpretive and uses a lot of CPU cycles to render the graphics. PowerVR, which is the GPU for these devices, has OpenVG. This engine is optimized for rendering vector graphics(Flash) with efficiency. If Apple opens this API and Adobe works mutually with Apple creating a proper GPU based Flash plugin, then we get a much better performance as well as better battery life compared to CPU/interpretive processing.

Although the Flash format .swf is open source, Adobe's player is proprietary and closed source, as well as Apple's private API's. Apple is not going to release the nitty gritty details of accessing the low level hardware(possible exploits, security compromised). Adobe could make their flash runtime player open source so any hardware can support them instead of bugging Adobe to fix the problems. OR have Apple build a custom flash player.

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
I'm a 40 tabs open at once type of browser and since installing ClickToFlash Safari hasn't crashed once. It use to be a daily occurrence.

I've allowed Flash to run on less than 10 websites. No more Dell adverts on MacRumours front page now too. :)

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Adobe builds for users. Apple builds for themselves, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Wait and see.

"Mac Rumors Demi-God"? What a load of rubbish...

Stuff like this makes macrumors so often, sooo annoying....

yeah, we 'll wait and see, the best success story in the software world in the past couple of years, the app store, and we have to "wait and see"...

Keep waiting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.