Adobe Names Most Popular Emoji in New Study

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2019.

1. derekamoss macrumors 6502a

Man I was so worried about skynet destroying the human race that I never even saw the emojis coming!:apple::);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

2. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I want to believe that something good is coming to humanity after hours of designing emojis by top tech companies

3. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Pfft. It sounds as if you have issues. I use emoji in several languages.

Emoji provide a shorthand for expressing emotions, body language, or facial expressions that cannot otherwise be readily conveyed via impersonal text communications. I still properly capitalize and punctuate my text messages, but I also use emoji when appropriate to punctuate a joke, express affection for my wife, or give one of my kids a virtual hug.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Only on this forum do people hate emojis, hate Apple and hate social media lmao.

You would think from reading some of these comments that people would rather die than use an emoji.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2019 ---
    What else do you despise? Just curious.

5. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

Means in contrast that those Emojis would do the job.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So people are more and more less likely to talk to one another. We really are going backwards.

7. groove-agent macrumors 65816

groove-agent

It's a sad world we live in when extensive emoji research is being done. It seems quite superficial compared to things such as climate change etc.

8. tardegrade macrumors regular

tardegrade

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

9. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Wait! Yesterday's emoji article had a round waffle - the last image in this article shows a square waffle.

Now I'm confused and hungry. I'm gonna need both.

10. smaffei macrumors regular

Well, now that we got that out of the way… How about we research something like cancer?

11. citysnaps macrumors 603

The good news is emoji research is not being done at the expense of lesser research going into climate change issues.

Both are addressed. By different kinds of organizations.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2019 ---
    Scientists and doctors around the world are not addressing cancer research?

Or are you expecting that's a task Adobe should be heading up?

12. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

For clarity... is that the red pill or the blue pill?

13. Defthand macrumors 65816

Thanks to the "smart" phone, in a couple of generations, everyone will be an illiterate, pointing mute.

14. Windoes macrumors member

Windoes

A massive article about emojis, so here I am :ugh

15. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Even my dad uses emoji, and he's a 72 year old with piles of books and a love for classical music.

But here, we've got a collection of different types. We've got the literal-minded, who can't get inferred meaning out of abstract concepts and hate emoji for that reason. We've got people who think hating popular things makes them more sophisticated than everyone else. We've got bonafide curmudgeons who resent anything new, especially if they think it draws focus away from their favourite product line...

16. slide_to_unlock macrumors member

slide_to_unlock

I need one racist emoji, one rapist emoji and one pedo emoji. Hold on and one combination of all.

17. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

What in the..... Climate change research is not being held up because of a small emoji study..... Good lord, not everything needs to be so serious.

18. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 65816

I'm still mad that Google took the blob emojis away.

19. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Pretty sure they said the same thing about the tv and video games.

Looks like we all turned out okay.

20. The Cappy macrumors regular

I'm calling BS on this survey.

“81 percent of emoji users believe that people who use emojis are friendlier and more approachable.”

Really. But that turns out to be a lie, because in actuality…
    “65 percent of emoji users said they were more comfortable expressing emotions via emoji rather than a phone call.”

So in fact they’re more distant and detached. The survey says otherwise, because it sounds nicer.

So there’s a narrative that articles like this reinforce without any exploration of the apparent fact that it’s a *false* narrative. This is like when newspapers do surveys about what readers would like to see more of, and it comes up as editorials and hard hitting investigations, etc. But actually people read the sports, comics, and obits.

This survey is aspirational. And it's BS.

I used emojis too, of course. I have maybe 10 that I use, and it's mainly the ones seen in this article. Beyond that they become a barrier to communication. Emojis are like perfume. A little might be nice, but there *definitely* is such a thing as too much. Or maybe it's like someone having a flower in their office, vs someone whose every flat surface has flowers, kittens, cartoon babies... there's a difference between approachable and cloying.

21. Defthand macrumors 65816

I thing it's less healthy to use emoji for the reasons that people often do: To disguise boredom with a conversation and disengage. To avoid lying in their response. To avoid being vulnerable or embarrassed about a feeling they want to express.

Emojis are the "gift cards" of interaction. Little thought or effort is required of the sender, and the burden of interpreting them is on the recipient.

22. jimbobb24 macrumors 65816

http://www.emojitracker.com

They could have just checked the website.

Emojis are useful because of the documented difficulty for most people of reading intended emotions in short snippets of text. Few are good enough writers to remove any ambiguity of their intended emotional meaning in short form writing and emojis are a tool that helps remove the confusion and actually improves language for short text bursts. They would not be needed in a long form letter because most writers could convey the meaning (even bad ones). But in the space they operate in they serve a useful supplement to language. So...don't be a hater.

23. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Uhh, not everything needs to be so serious.... I am sure a lot of clinical trials were held up in the medical world because Adobe was doing a small emoji research thing...

24. Defthand macrumors 65816

No one refers to their tv all day for a dopamine fix. And game addicts? No, they are not normal by any definition.

25. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

This is the critical mission data that will propel Apple into the future!