Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe: PC Preferred?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Historically, Steve Jobs has used Adobe applications such as Photoshop as a benchmark to counter the "Megahertz Myth" with the widening gap between PowerPC and Intel-based processors with regards to pure clock-speeds.

Adobe, however, has posted a new page implying that PC's are preferred over Macs:

While the computers used in this study are no longer the fastest in their respective classes, the information is still valid. The PC outperformed the similar Macintosh machine, at an impressive rate.

The page cites this Digital Producer Magazine article as the basis for the benchmarks.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
its the truth, hopefull this will get apple on the move on with some real processors. but you would think apple and adobe have a very special relationship and even though this is true you think they wouldnt release it because of their respect to apple. oh well. you dont see any graphic artists switching do you.

iJon

praetorian_x

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
faster...

Faster IBM... Faster...

OK, lets hope this kicks the kids in Cupertino into a frenzy of price/performance improvement.

If Apple doesn't get much faster systems (at the same or lesser prices of todays models) out soon, they will effectively cede the graphics artist market, mac-faithful holdouts excepted, as they have the education market.

I like/love OSX, but the hardware needs help, and fast.

Cheers,
prat

JD!

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2002
Toronto
What's to add??? The Mac got it's butt kicked and will continue to do so until SOMEBODY......ANYBODY.....in Apple will at least divulge some info on what's coming. The Pro community is changing...quickly....due to the silence at Apple. What a shame. C'mon Apple....what the Hell is going on??? Give us all a freakin hint will ya??? You can't sell slow, and people are fed up waiting on rumor and blind hope. These latest tests confirm that we are falling way behind. This loyal Apple user for one is sick and tired of waiting.....waiting..........

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Good

Good for Adobe. Apple needs a kick in the pants. It's great to have it come from a respected giant like Adobe.

Us 'little people' can only say so much. Quark's big-wig (what ever his name is) came off sounding like a jerk when he suggested users switch to another platform if they weren't happy with Quark's OS X support, etc. Adobe made their comment with stats. That shows a lot more class, and gets the point across without inviting the same level of blind anger.

It's time for Apple to ante up. And not with more berzerk prices, either. They've done that for long enough.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by iJon
its the truth, hopefull this will get apple on the move on with some real processors. but you would think apple and adobe have a very special relationship and even though this is true you think they wouldnt release it because of their respect to apple. oh well. you dont see any graphic artists switching do you.

iJon

Exactly how I feel. :)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
This is a dark day for DTP on the Mac. I'll just keep my head down and pray for something revolutionary to hit us. Right about now, our machines need a miracle kick start. No matter how much I love my Mac, these chips just aren't holding up.

Dan

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
Someone at Adobe is on krak. The illustrations do not match the x-axis. Apparently they couldn't decide if 0.6 means 60 seconds or 36 seconds. In the first illustration, 54 seconds = 0.54 and 1 min 25 = 1.25! (which also = 85 seconds = 0.85???)

The lamers should go back to high school!

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Y'know, here's another thought - People keep saying that they are surprised Adobe would post test results that damage Apple... But what about when Steve stuck his thumb in their eyes about PS being late to OS X at MacWorld SF last year? Steve didn't exactly come off very warm and cuddly, that morning.

Dan

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Give it up with the graph already. Who cares if the graph is misleading? The TIMES are the problem. I could give a flip about a graph that somebody made wrong, I care that the software company that millions of graphic pros use is exposing the (albeit obvious) achilles heel of Apple. People keep saying "What we have is fast enough fo what people need"--and before you attack that statement, yes it has been posted may times on these forums. The end of the Charlie White article is right: why would you buy a computer that will take almost twice as long to perform the tasks you want to do? Time=Money in the workforce. He also makes another great point; if you are working in Photoshop or InDesign all day long, why does it matter what OS you use, really?

I am an Apple fan, and I do not like Windows, but even the zealots have to see hhow much of a slap in the face this is to Apple. They have to start talking about the future of the PowerMac in public. They need to assure the graphics houses that there is something worth waiting for, other than another nifty update to iChat.

Regards,
Gus

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Maybe Apple needs an INTERVENTION party

Originally posted by arn
possibly somewhat inaccurate graphs?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151450

Very good point, Arn.

But I'm still glad Adobe isn't staying silent on what platform runs their apps quicker. They're speaking out, exposing Apple's secret shame. It's kinda like an old friend confronting a buddy on a self-destructive habit …but with proportionally-innacurate graphs.;)

Apple's friends need to hold an intervention gathering.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yep...

regardless of the graphs, bias etc...

the main point of this story is that Adobe is posting this perspective... and Apple needs to step up

arn

mum

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
I suppose they're trying to blame the machines for the pathetic AE performance on the Mac.

jeffberg

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2001
Analogy Time

PC vs Mac is like Honda Accord vs. Range Rover

The Accord has more horsepower, creating more speed.
The range rover has more torque, creating more power.
just as a PC goes faster, a Mac can do more at once.

The accord is basic, featureless.
The range rover is leathery, woody, beautiful, and packed with every possible emenaty
just as PC's are hard to use and can't do anything out of the box. while macs are pretty and have all the software required for the basics of everything right out of the box.

The accord is small and hard to see out of, to see what your doing and what others are doing
the range rover has high seating with low windows to allow you to see everything that happens
just as the PC can do things without you knowing, viruses etc. while a Mac tells you or at least gives and indication of just about everything that it does.

the accord is loved by environmentalists and hated by republicans
the range rover is shunned by environmentalists loved by the republicans
the PC is used by most everyone, except the ones with taste.
the mac is used by the ones with taste and hated by the jealous ones.
(I meant nothing personal about the environmental / republican stuff)

There I think that is enough.

*Disclaimer - I mean no offense by this post, it is my personal opinion. It does not have to be your opinion, but I also have the right to say this according to the 1st amendment (I think it is the 1st, its the free speech one that I am referring to)*

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by jeffberg
The accord is basic, featureless, and un comfortable

I am a Honda owner and Mac user, and I am very offended by your analogy. Your post is as convincing as.. that Adobe "PC preferred" page.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I think it is no coincidence that the performance test is posted in their digital video section and not in the imaging section: they want to get the DV crowd to buy PC's which will keep them away from FCP and probably Shake.

They probably don't care if if you are doing imaging on a mac or PC, since you are likely to use their products on either platform anyway...

jeffberg

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by avus
I am a Honda owner and Mac user, and I am very offended by your analogy. Your post is as convincing as.. that Adobe "PC preferred" page.

Sorry it was wrong of me to put the uncomfortable part, thats is an opinion, not a fact. and I'm not saying that you can't own one, im just saying that that is what I think, it is my presonal opinion.

Also, what is not convincing about that page, it is pure facts, PC's are faster than Macs. I totally believe it.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
First of all, jeff, not to be mean, but if you are going to invoke one of your rights, know which one it is man.

Second, you can make all of the analogies that you want to, and rationalize the PowerMac, but the fact is, that despite all of the advantages that we know the mac has, OS X being a big one of them, the Pentiums are smoking the G4s right now. It's plain and simple. In fact, if I were an Intel executive, I'd be remaking that old Apple commercial with the Pentium II on a snail, except it would be 2 G4s on the snail. Once again, I am an Apple loyalist, and that's why I'm worried.

Oh yeah, One last thing...

If I have to hear that stupid "Centrino" ad music one more time, I'm going to scream. Ugh. I didn't even make it through that sentence and it started.

Regards,
Gus

scottglasser

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2003
I've been using Macs for 10 years and I'm not ready to go over to the dark side, but neither can I justify buying a new Mac at the current price/performance point. I'll live with my iMac G3 and Powerlogix-enhanced PowerBase until Apple gets their act together!

Maybe OSX on Intel isn't such a bad idea after all? :confused:

GregGomer

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Uhm, Adobe doesn't support dual processors well

Looking at this article, it reminded me of another bench mark I saw comparing a 1 GIG, to a Dual 867 and a Dual 1GIG, and a Dual 1.25.

All the Dual processor machines ran adobe about as well as the single processor. Their explanation was that the adobe apps don't take advantage of the dual processors.

So when you are using say Photoshop on a Dual GIG G4, it only takes full advantage of one of the processors, which basically will have the same performacne as a single processor 1 GIG.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that is the case, then Adobe Apps aren't the the best apps to benchmark dual proc G4s. Unfortunately there aren't many apps that are Dual processor aware, like Final Cut Pro or DVD studio pro and those don't work on a PC, so you can't use those to get a fair benchmark.

Anyhoo, food for thought, wish I had the link that compared the Adobe apps on single and dual processors, if anyone else can shed some light on this please do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.