Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
I just wanted to download a PDF and wondered why it didn't show up in the download window. Then a new Safari window openend which displayed the PDF file within that Safari window. So is this a new feature of Adobe Reader 7.0? Any ideas?

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
It is a new feature!

From Adobe's online manual:

View PDF documents in the browser (Mac OS)
Adobe Reader works automatically with Safari to make viewing Adobe PDF documents on the web easy. The first time you open Adobe Reader, your system automatically is configured to use Adobe Reader to open PDF files in your browser.

Nice job, Adobe! :)

Edit: Just to clarify, the plugin doesn't open a new Safari Window, it displays the PDF within the same window.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I have that plugin and it's great. It is faster than downloading it and waiting for preview to open. Adobe Reader 9 is horribly slow. It takes almost as long as photoshop to start up.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Reminds me of the Mac OS 9 days...Remember when Adobe made a plug-in for Internet Explorer where you can view PDFs inside the internet browser? That feature has been broken ever since, until Acrobat Reader 7. (yeah, I just found out about the 3rd party solution:))

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
thecow said:
I have that plugin and it's great. It is faster than downloading it and waiting for preview to open. Adobe Reader 9 is horribly slow. It takes almost as long as photoshop to start up.

One more plug for the plug-in...I really like the diamond icon on the left, which sends the PDF to Preview. I really love that feature, and I find I miss it when I get back to using Acrobat Reader on Windows...then again, I don't even have Acrobat on my Mac, and I do miss the highlighting tool in Acrobat.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I found it odd, but Acrobat 7.0 deleted the Shubert plugin I had. While I prefer the Acrobat plugin because it has more features, I still would have liked to been asked before something was deleted from my system.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
mkrishnan said:
One more plug for the plug-in...I really like the diamond icon on the left, which sends the PDF to Preview. I

I couldn't find that diamond icon. Did you have to enable this somewhere?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Zaty said:
I couldn't find that diamond icon. Did you have to enable this somewhere?

It should be at the top left of the screen once you have installed the schubert plugin and loaded a PDF.

As for any other plugins... I just downloaded their word plugin to give it a try yesterday. I'll see if it's any good.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Zaty, I was talking about the Schubert plugin, not the thing that came with Acrobat 7.... Not sure if I was clear about that. But I don't think you have to enable it...just have to click all the cryptic icons and see what they do for onesself, I guess. :eek:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
edesignuk said:
Very nice, it was driving me nuts having to download PDF's to view them :cool:
Actually, the PDF's are still getting downloaded, it's just that you don't have the intermediate steps to do with. And they go in the browser cache which gets cleaned up automatically.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Bear said:
Actually, the PDF's are still getting downloaded, it's just that you don't have the intermediate steps to do with. And they go in the browser cache which gets cleaned up automatically.
Yes, I realise that :rolleyes:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Anyone know how to get rid of the Acrobat plugin? I uninstalled Acrobat using the included uninstaller, but now when I click a PDF in Safari, I just get a blank window. How do I make it download the file and open in Preview, like it used to?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Nermal said:
Anyone know how to get rid of the Acrobat plugin? I uninstalled Acrobat using the included uninstaller, but now when I click a PDF in Safari, I just get a blank window. How do I make it download the file and open in Preview, like it used to?
Duff-Man says...check your /Library/Internet Plugins folder and if it is there, delete the Adobepdfviewer plugin....oh yeah!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Nermal said:
Nope, not there. I have a lot of plugins in there, but nothing Adobe or Acrobat-related.
Could try deleting the Safari prefs.

I love the shubert plug-in, although I haven't upgraded to Acrobat 7, so I can't compare.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I do not think it is the Safari prefs - I opened mine in Plist Editor and did not see anything that related to Adobe....it may be another pref file like com.apple.launchservices.plist though...

I personally quite like Adobe Reader 7 so far - it is very fast and displays all pdf's I have tried (I have had a few that display blank in Preview) so I have no real reason not to use it at this point.....oh yeah!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Nermal said:
I haven't changed anything, but it's fixed itself :confused: :)
Duff-Man says...had you by chance restarted either the computer or Safari? If you had run the Adobe uninstall while Safari was still active and therefore still thought the plugin was there and loaded...well, that could explain things....oh yeah!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Wes said:
I don't know if you guys use this but it's great.

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

It's free for home use.

I love this plug-in. It has a few minor issues, but I don't think that I've updated it in a while so those might have been fixed. My friends are (even more) jealous of what that plug-in can do, and my Mac in general.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...had you by chance restarted either the computer or Safari? If you had run the Adobe uninstall while Safari was still active and therefore still thought the plugin was there and loaded...well, that could explain things....oh yeah!

I uninstalled Acrobat, and had the problem I mentioned above, so I restarted. It didn't help. I've since restarted again, and that seemed to fix it. Odd that it'd take 2 reboots. But who cares, it's working now :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mechcozmo said:
I love this plug-in. It has a few minor issues, but I don't think that I've updated it in a while so those might have been fixed. My friends are (even more) jealous of what that plug-in can do, and my Mac in general.

Yeah, I think I like it better than the Windows Adobe plugin, at least. I should probably at least try the Mac Acrobat 7 plugin.

BTW, does anyone else use this plugin with Firefox? Has anyone noticed that when Firefox has a tab with a PDF file open, using the Schubert plugin, that when the Schubert tab is active, Sidetrack scrolling works fine in the PDF file, but that when one switches to any other tab, Schubert continues to hijack the scrollwheel functions, so that when one scrolls in another tab, nothing happens in the active tab, but the PDF document in the non-active tab scrolls! Then when one goes back to the PDF tab, one finds that the PDF is on a different page than it was at the previous time the tab was active! :confused:

I suppose I should go see if there is an update to the plugin or if there is a FAQ or something. I don't remember this issue happening in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.