Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Adobe Releases Lightroom 3 With DSLR Video Support, Tethered Shooting, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Adobe today announced the release of Photoshop Lightroom 3, the company's professional photo management and manipulation application that serves as a competitor to Apple's Aperture software.
First released as a public beta in October 2009, the final version of Lightroom 3 introduces a completely redesigned performance architecture that better handles growing image libraries and provides an unrivaled raw processing engine with noise reduction and sharpening tools to achieve the highest image quality. The 64-bit capable Lightroom 3 includes new features that optimize workflows and allow images to be shared in creative ways, including support for DSLR video files and tethered shooting on select cameras.
The first beta version of Lightroom 3 was released in late October, with a second beta following in late March.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 is available immediately and is priced at $299 for the full version and $99 for an upgrade version.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Lightroom 3 With DSLR Video Support, Tethered Shooting, and More

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Awesome - I've been waiting for this! I've been using the beta since last year... and it was already very good, I'm sure the released version will be even better!

As a serious amateur LR3 perfectly meets my needs for cataloguing and touchups to my RAW photos. I can burn through a day's set of photos in no time. LR3 does a great job of fully utilizing newer multiprocessor macs... I saw a nice speed bump going from my core 2 duo unibody 17" MacBook pro to my new i7 17" a couple of weeks ago. I can really burn through photos on that rig!

If you shoot in RAW then i highly recommend trying out lightroom I think you'll be surprised at the speed.

Comment

kirky29

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I've tried using LR several times, but just couldn't get on with it, kind of a shame really.
I currently use Aperture, but would love to be able to have my photos on Mac & PC..

Comment

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
I would barely want to call it a competing product. Lightroom is better in every way lol.

Comment

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Any reviews of it yet? I heard the noise reduction capability on LR3 is phenomenal.

Comment

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Ordered Academic Version

They approved it in two hours and I have it installed on both my machines :)

Comment

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Bought it, installed and registered, updating my catalog right now.

the trial download is 2.7 Version.

Going to buy it.

The download can be used as a trial for 30 days, you have to look harder to find it or wait until adobe updates its trail version page.

Comment

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
LR3 is $89 for the academic version, wow!

Also, does this completely blow away Aperture 3? Ap3 is $179 for the academic version.

I plan on trying both. I need a list of supported tethering cameras. I also want to know if LR3 can easily import the iPhoto library. My wife has been using iPhoto exclusively for about 6 months. Also, facebook integration would be nice in addition to the Flickr integration.

Comment

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
UK Prices:

Full Retail: £232.65
Upgrade: £74.66

(From Abobe.com/uk)

I personally prefer to order from Amazon as you get free shipping. The Amazon Pre-Order price is £72.99 for Upgrades and £209 for full version, £67 for the workshy student edition.

This time I won't download the full 30 day trial version until I know Amazon have stock (version 2 upgrade was available at the Abode price straight away and took an extra few weeks for other retailers to get it).

Comment

rKunda

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2008
Also, does this completely blow away Aperture 3? Ap3 is $179 for the academic version.

I don't understand Apple's education pricing for Aperture. Online it's $179. In my local school, it's $69.

Comment

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I find Aperture better in every way, except for a critical one:

It is SLOWWW as hell on my late 2006 iMac.

Comment

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
I'm so excited! Loooong time Lightroom user, and the Beta of LR3 got me cringing every time I had to open LR2 :)

The lens correction additions are HUGE and pretty spectacular. Non destructive distortion, tilt and shift correction?!

I've tried Aperture, the only feature I could get excited about with the tethering, but then I figured that Canon EOS Utility with Photo Mechanic made me WAY happier. Getting my photos out of Aperture was a nightmare (ftr: I have never used Aperture 3, absolutely no incentive).

So... Hey there Lightroom 3!

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
LR3 is $89 for the academic version, wow!

It blows away the Academic price on the Apple Store online, but my University sells Aperture 3 for $69 in its own computer store and many of the other Apple software items for cheaper than online, like iWork for $39.

Comment

BigJimmyC

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Is the education version online functionally the same as the full version? My school's store sells LR for $99, but it doesn't say anything about it being an academic version. I just don't want to download the academic version only to find out it has limited capabilities.

Comment

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I don't understand Apple's education pricing for Aperture. Online it's $179. In my local school, it's $69.

There are two "levels" of discount: academic pricing available online (this one is more widely available, and less substantial), and institutional pricing, which is a more substantial discount, available at campus stores of participating schools.

Is the education version online functionally the same as the full version? My school's store sells LR for $99, but it doesn't say anything about it being an academic version. I just don't want to download the academic version only to find out it has limited capabilities.

They're the same (but you're not allowed to resell the academic version, etc.).

Comment

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Has anyone found the list of DSLR's supported for video import? I keep going round in circles and cannot find it. Frustratingly I bought Aperture 3 and it doesn't support videos from my camera...

Comment

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Tethered shooting as a feature would be a welcome addition to all photo programs. Or a middleware utility.

Rocketman

Tethered shooting is possible in 2.x using the auto-import feature.
Using an EyeFi card in your camera, just set the destination folder for the EyeFi uploads. Then point lightroom's auto import feature at that folder.
With lightroom running, take a shot. The shot will be uploaded to the folder and immediately pulled into lightroom. You can even apply development presets and auto naming on import.
Works like a charm. And it's wireless.

Comment

JasO

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Been looking forward to this.

I would barely want to call it a competing product. Lightroom is better in every way lol.

Agreed, I LOVE lightroom.

I remember a year or so ago when friends tried convincing me that Aperture was the best thing around, what a joke. Lightroom is easy to use and 'just works'.

Comment

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Been looking forward to this.

Agreed, I LOVE lightroom.

I remember a year or so ago when friends tried convincing me that Aperture was the best thing around, what a joke. Lightroom is easy to use and 'just works'.

I think it all depends on how your brain is wired. I find Aperture more natural to use than Lightroom, and I've always hated the separation between "Library" and "Develop" in Lightroom. Also, Aperture has superior support for two screens - Lightroom was very late to that party and its implementation isn't nearly as good.

Aperture has bugs, sure. But I prefer it over Lightroom by an order of magnitude. In my book, Aperture is -the- killer application for OS X.

Comment

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
I have been using LR1 and absolutely love it. It is much faster than Aperture and, more importantly, available on Mac and PC so I am not locked-in on a platform.

Also the DNG format gives me confidence that my pictures will be readable years down the road.

I'm tempted to buy the upgrade if I qualify.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.