• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
http://news.com.com/2100-1046-5062279.html

"Over the last several days, we have spoken with six Photoshop certified trainers regarding timing of the Photoshop 8.0...release," Munster wrote. "All six of the trainers we have spoken with expect shipment between November and December. We believe the product will ship late in Adobe's (fourth quarter)."

mmm...photoshop...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I wonder if the prices will change any. Probably not...but we can always hope. :D

Comment

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I've been looking for the pre-order button since I saw the story - if they're planning on releasing in October (not announcing but releasing) then they're probably going to announce it for order soon. It'd be cool if they'd bundle it with the G5 as a pkg. deal, maybe with Acrobat Pro and InDesign as well. And what they hey, throw in Illustrator too - make it the Mac Design Pro shopper's delight!

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
An analyst report made waves today with speculation that Adobe would release a new version of Photoshop "and other key applications" by the end of the year.

According to the report, November/December is the expected shipment time for Photoshop 8.

Early beta screenshots of Photoshop 8 appeared on Mac websites in early July. Those images were quickly removed at Adobe's request, however.

Early reports and screenshots of Adobe Illustrator 11 have also made the rounds.

One reader notes that McGraw-Hill is publishing a book entitled "How to Do Everything with Illustrator 11" which is due to be published on October 9, 2003 -- providing one possible timeframe for release.

In the meanwhile, upcoming PowerMac G5 owners should be satisfied with Photoshop 7 with a previous report claiming that Adobe will soon be releasing a Photoshop plug-in to take advantage of the PowerPC 970 (G5).

In related news, Microsoft-Watch reports that Adobe is currently in beta testing InDesign 3.0, detailing a number of improvements. InDesign 3.0 is expected this Fall

Comment

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
The usual PS authors started writing books on 8 about 2 - 3 months ago.

After effects should be released around the same time as well I think {ver6}

Comment

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah photoshop development is going good so far, I expect it to be coming soon, if not early.

It really is gonna kick, almost worth for the price of it.

;)

I haven't heard much...what are supposed to be some of the new features? :confused:

Comment

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I guess it's possible that there will be an 8.0 release fairly soon, but the upgrade cycle seems a little quick to me (what happened to 7.5 or even 7.1?). Of course, the real "kicker" for the Mac market will be if the 8.0 release is the only way to get __full__ G5 support or improved support as time goes on (since logically, support for the 7.0 code base will pretty much end with the release of 8.0). I know that they plan on offering a G5 plug-in or patch for PS7, but it could be that the timing of this release has more to do with the G5 than any actual feature delivery. It would be a nice marketing ploy (i.e. more upgrade dollars) for Adobe to try and ride the wave of G5 excitement with a new "major" version of PS.

Comment

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
I wonder if they'll be releasing new versions of GoLive and LiveMotion. Rumors are Livemotion is dead.

Comment

ultrafiel

macrumors member
May 19, 2002
Livemotion should die, Flash beats it hands down. Photoshop 8 includes new features such as a color replacement brush (why you can't just use a brush with the color mode on I don't know). Also you can use non-square pixels for tv and video or whatnot. The file browser has more options and you can apply actions to folders in that, also there is a filter gallery mini-app, like the liquify tool, that you can see what any filter will do before you apply it. It has a preview and you can add multiple filters see the changes, take some off, see what happens, and then when you are happy you apply. There is a new image adjustment for color filters (ie, what the photo would look like with a blue filter, or other colors), and also a shadow/highlight image adjustment. These are the only things I can remember at the moment, as I only got to play with it for a few minutes. As far as I've heard Illustrator 11 has a focus of being much faster, which would be great. Also, Photoshop will by OS X only, and I think the other two, although I'm not sure. Anyway, with Adobe's traditional 18 month updates, Illustrator and InDesign should be out soon, with Photoshop a little later.

Comment

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
New non destructive adjustment layers for filters is enough for me to pay for an upgrade {PS8}

Wonder if we "finally" get 16 bit layer functionality,and the tools to work in 16 bit mode as well.

Comment

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
A faster Illustrator would be great.

So with an 18-month release cycle, would Photoshop Elements 3 be out by Christmas, or are we talking next year?

Comment

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
non-square pixels!!? sweet!! :D

i'm guessing that PS 8 will only have a few new features, mainly re-written for the G5's.

would a late Q4 release be in line with their preivous releases? or is this 'early' for them, hinting that it's only for 64-bit optimisations?

Comment

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Photoshop

Hello, don't normally post here because I'm a PC guy, and don't feel the need to troll.

But anyway, Photoshop is great. I use it daily as a web designer. Each version of Photoshop brings new features, new options.

5 - 5.5 bought greater web features and Imageready
6 improved on those and added effects
7 mostly improved performance, particularly in the appallingly sluggish imageready

(possibly wrong on some of these. I have a memory like a... um... one of those things... what was I talking about?)

I'll be keen to see what 8 has to offer me, and non-destructive filters seem like a godsend to me, with a few other things that will probably turn out to be more useful than I thought.

Now all I need is a modicum of actual talent and I'll be happy!

Oh! And a shout-out to the other dude in Brisbane, Australia!

Matt

Comment

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Photoshop Wishes

And as a quick note, things I'd like to see in Photoshop 8 or 9. Or 10.

Font Embedding Ever use a font on a PSD on one computer and have to take take it home, work on it later, etc? Fun, huh?

Effect Alpha Bug Fixed If you haven't encountered this, open effects on a layer, give it a drop shadow, then a black stroke. Decrease the opacity on the stroke. What do you get.. fading out? Yep, and then it goes white/grey. NOT the plan. Might be just me.

Effect Editing Ever want to make the drop shadow on an object not be as deep here, deeper there? Or a bevel to be thicker at the bottom than the top? Well, I have. I know these effects can be manually created, but I'm useless AND lazy.

Text to Path This still can't be done in photoshop 7, and don't say it can be done in illustrator and imported, that's not the point. I actually THINK this might be in Photoshop 8, but I'm not sure.

Imageready Imports If you save a file in imageready with mouseover states, then save as (for page 2, etc), open it in photoshop, strip out the guides, strip out the slices, change the page, etc, when you take it back INTO imageready it tries to turn it back into the earlier file. It removes layers, etc. This is because the Mouseover state it was looking for no longer exists, so it tries to find the "normal" state again. There seems to be no way to strip this stuff out. "Clear States" would be nice.

Faster Updating from Imageready to Photoshop I hate waiting.

Um... Those are the main things.

Matt

Comment

mum

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
Re: Photoshop Wishes

Originally posted by whitegold
Text to Path This still can't be done in photoshop 7, and don't say it can be done in illustrator and imported, that's not the point. I actually THINK this might be in Photoshop 8, but I'm not sure.

Text layer selected, go to Layer->Type->Create work path. Is that what you mean? You can also convert it to a shape layer from that same menu.

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
FASTER FASTER FASTER

I just want photoshop to be FASTER. I have Photoshop 7 under OSX, and I also have a copy of Photoshop 5.5 kicking around. Photoshop 5.5 loads, opens files and redraws the same files faster, even under OSX & classic, and definitely under OS9. I am not talking about 200mb files, this is even on a 1mb file. I have a Dual 450 with 512mb ram.

I bought the Dual 450 secondhand a coupla years ago expecting the new version of Photoshop (Version 7) to use the Dual Processors etc and go much faster than 5.5.

But its runs like a bloated slug.

Why? IS it Carbon like I suspect, because the same accusations can be leveled at the Macromedia MX suite vs their older versions running on the same machine.

Tell me it will all go away when they move to Cocoa?

And tell me the Panther Finder is Cocoa not Carbon.

Comment

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Text to Path

No, I am referring to the ability to write text along a path, a circle, a spiral, a curve.

Some of this can be faked with the "text warp" system, but it's not the same thing.

Ever tried to make text spiral in, getting smaller and smaller in Photoshop? Like it's going down a drain or something? Best off giving up. It's a hard job. Illustrator can do it, but I barely use illustrator, and the text isn't editable afterwards. And to have a program the cost of Illustrator just for such simple jobs is not really very helpful.

On a nother note, I use windows, and have actually found that while 6 was quite sluggish, particularly Imageready, which was loaded with new features, Photoshop 7 was noticably faster in all respects. Hopefully 8 continues to optimise operation, both for the latest 64-bit chips and for our fading current systems. (My own is an Athlon 1.1. Getting old now, but still rock solid.)

Comment

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Re: Photoshop Wishes

Originally posted by whitegold
And as a quick note, things I'd like to see in Photoshop 8 or 9. Or 10.

Font Embedding Ever use a font on a PSD on one computer and have to take take it home, work on it later, etc? Fun, huh?

Effect Alpha Bug Fixed If you haven't encountered this, open effects on a layer, give it a drop shadow, then a black stroke. Decrease the opacity on the stroke. What do you get.. fading out? Yep, and then it goes white/grey. NOT the plan. Might be just me.

Effect Editing Ever want to make the drop shadow on an object not be as deep here, deeper there? Or a bevel to be thicker at the bottom than the top? Well, I have. I know these effects can be manually created, but I'm useless AND lazy.

Imageready Imports If you save a file in imageready with mouseover states, then save as (for page 2, etc), open it in photoshop, strip out the guides, strip out the slices, change the page, etc, when you take it back INTO imageready it tries to turn it back into the earlier file. It removes layers, etc. This is because the Mouseover state it was looking for no longer exists, so it tries to find the "normal" state again. There seems to be no way to strip this stuff out. "Clear States" would be nice.

Faster Updating from Imageready to Photoshop I hate waiting.

Um... Those are the main things.

Matt

Disconnect the drop shadow ,Layer style > create layer,or if its embossed etc it will be >create layers.To create some depth to your shadow,Edit transform > perspective,or skew.

Another nice quick way to create a drop shadow is load your layers transparency,make a new layer and fill with very dark blue {dont use black}then move that layer under your original and nudge to the left or right the distance that you want and then blur.Its also a good idea to save the selection first as a channel or use a layer mask.

Text to path....hmm paths are not my forte but what about a clipping path.Ok now I know what you mean it can buts its messy,you load your layers transparency once again {the text} and in the paths palette you click on the circle with the 2 node type handles,it makes your selection into a path,to go back again click the little empty circle,the full circle fills your path,and the other strokes it. {think its that way around}

As for IR try making a new snapshot of the new state the file is in then whack the old snapshot and save the file,should be ok on reopening as thats the snapshot or history state it will read from.

Comment

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
Sounds promising

I hope all this goes well; we just ordered some G5s about a week or two ago, and with the new photoshop coming should be good.

We are no longer supporting Quark (Yaayyyyyy!!) I hope EVERYONE drops Quark, and Motorolla and let them become less than a memory.

For Adobe to start with a much inferior product, and overtake them as completely as they did (with all the staunch support they used to have) is plain unacceptable.

Motorolla...... I won't even speak on them.

I don't know which of these sorry ass companies I despise more.:mad:

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Re: Re: Photoshop Wishes

Originally posted by Mac Kiwi
Another nice quick way to create a drop shadow is load your layers transparency,make a new layer and fill with very dark blue {dont use black}then move that layer under your original and nudge to the left or right the distance that you want and then blur..

Why dark blue? Dark blue shadows work for Monet and Disney but in real life I would have thought a good rich black would be better (In CMYK thats 40% Cyan, 30% Magenta, 30% Yellow, 100% Black).

Once you do all your blurring/offsetting etc then set the shadow layer to be say 30% transparency on multiply or perhaps darken - thats closer to the truth I would have thought. :confused:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.