Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When it rains, it pours.

According to some reports (rumors) the 4-year old child received cuts on his butt, legs and balls from the beating.

There are a number of issues that are involved in this story. Was Adrian Peterson wrong to have taken a switch to his child? Should corporal punishment be a criminal offense? How should the NFL deal with players as they go through the legal process?

I think the NFL should institute a form of administrative leave, where any player charged or indicted would be placed, unable to play in games or participate in team activities until they are reasonably clear of the charges. It's ridiculous IMO, that Hardy was convicted of domestic violence, but still gets to play because he's appealing that conviction.

As for the question of corporal punishment, I don't think I'd indict over a first offense. I'd prefer to see child protection services get involved, educate offenders about corporal punishment, and assess the need for further intervention. While I don't condone corporal punishment, I'm reluctant to treat single cases of it as criminal.

All in all, a very bad week for the NFL ... and I can't wait until Sunday.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Banned for life. Period.

So much for "Purple Jesus".

5. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I hadn't seen the photos.

It's certainly a level of punishment that I don't condone.

But is it best treated as a criminal matter? Isn't there room for instructing the parent that this kind of punishment is too severe and giving them the opportunity to learn what is acceptable and what is not?

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

It's likely Peterson is gone for the rest of this season--not only from the NFL's new six-game suspension policy for domestic abuse, but also the fact the Vikings may just deactivate him for the rest of this season.

7. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I'm a Vikings fan...

What he did is child abuse. It's a 4 year old for f's sake.

Thing is he is totally nonchalant about it and is cooperating with authorities and all that. This is a cultural thing. He thinks this is perfectly okay and many others do as well. That needs to be addressed.

If you want to get angry then read the comment section below. If that's any indication of what Houston is like then I will never step foot in the South ever.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I was torn on this at first without seeing the photos. I have no issue with spanking my son if he's out of line and 9 out of 10 times it works. I originally thought that was the case here with the media just blowing it up. The photos show, to me at least, he went over the top. It's sad because he has always seemed like one of the most genuine guys in the NFL.

But as OP said, what a rough friggin' week for the NFL.

9. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I haven't looked at the photos and don't need/want to.

I tend to think parents should have the latitude to reasonably discipline their children. In my mind the use of tools beyond the open empty hand is dangerously crossing the line and certainly any discipline that leaves a traumatic injury.

People can argue the ambiguity of "traumatic injury" and "reasonably" all they want. I don't think it's unconstitutionally vague and am comfortable to let each case be determined on their own circumstances based on state statutes and case law.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You might as well said No Comment.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I've said it already, but if Roger Goodell has any hope of keeping his job, Adrian Peterson is done for life with football.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/sports/football/actuarial-reports-in-nfl-concussion-deal-are-released.html?hpw&rref=sports&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHedThumbWell&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

:D I doubt spanking your child is legal.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In many states, it is.

I doubt if a jury in any state would consider this spanking, however.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

there is states in the U.S. where hitting children is legal? :D

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In fact, not only is it legal in many states for parents to spank their children, in 19 states it is still legal in school:

[​IMG]

http://www.businessinsider.com/19-states-still-allow-corporal-punishment-2014-3

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

:D Americans are insane! :D
    If a teacher would dare even touch a student in any civilized country that would be the last day he set foot in a school.

It's obviously illegal for parents, too. It's child abuse/assault.
    That kind of behaviour was outlawed about half a century.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

In some of those states, it is legal to punish developmentally disabled students in school. While the degree of disability is not clear from the simple statistics, it is interesting that some of the states with the highest rates of corporal punishment also disproportionately punish the developmentally disabled, or, at least, they did in 2006:

[​IMG]

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

As a Packer's fan I'm all in on suspending AP until the investigation is complete next year.

20. malman89 macrumors 68000

Get that nonsense out of here.

---

It's particularly surprising he still maintains a nonchalant, old school approach to disciplining his children... just a year after one of his children was killed by an abusive male (2 years old at the time).

I get that he was raised with that sort of upbringing, but wouldn't that supposedly heart-breaking moment make you double check your own actions?

21. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Fixed.

Cultures vary GREATLY in the US. Most people up north want no part in this stuff. Personally I didn't even know it was legal in schools anywhere in the US until yesterday.

22. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Why is that? I merely responded to the questions.

23. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I highly doubt he could even do that. You can't just kick someone out of the league because you're trying to get your reputation back.

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yes, he can per the CBA and the NFL assault policy

25. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

It would be a joke if he did considering Ray Rice didn't get banned nor did Ray Lewis.