Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGear

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2002
I'm about to get ADSL and I have to choose a modem. I want to set it up with an Airport Express base station. I know I want an Ethernet modem rather than the crappy USB modem they're offering, but do I want a combination modem/router or just a modem?

More importantly, if I get the combination modem/router they offer (an ASUS 6010EV),

http://www.asus.com/products/communication/adsl/aam6010ev/overview.htm

will that have a compatibility issue with the Airport Express? As in, a modem/router going into a WiFi router?

Any opinions or experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, muchachos...

TG

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Don't worry about all that crap. Apple takes care of it. Just get a ADSL modem, no router, and the setup will set it up fine.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
TopGear said:
I'm about to get ADSL and I have to choose a modem. I want to set it up with an Airport Express base station. I know I want an Ethernet modem rather than the crappy USB modem they're offering, but do I want a combination modem/router or just a modem?

More importantly, if I get the combination modem/router they offer (an ASUS 6010EV),

http://www.asus.com/products/communication/adsl/aam6010ev/overview.htm

will that have a compatibility issue with the Airport Express? As in, a modem/router going into a WiFi router?

Any opinions or experience with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, muchachos...

TG

Just get an Ethernet ADSL modem, and hook it up to your Airport Extreme or Airport Express base station. All have have to do then is to set your Airport Extreme/Express to access the internet via DHCP. Then all you have to do is to set your computer to access the internet via DHCP over 802.11g. :)

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
If your modem has a router inbuilt, don't bother disabling it.

I'm double routed as we speak. It works. And it means TWO hardware firewalls.

Your modem provides the AirPort Express with an IP adress using DHCP and NAT, and then the AirPort Express uses DHCP and NAT as well, to provide your computer as a connection.

It works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.