Adult children of gay parents testify against same-sex marriage at 5th Circuit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jan 14, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm quoting the whole article so that you don't have to give page clicks to the right wing extremist website that posted it if you don't want to. Sorry in advance for the source but no credible news sources reported on this, understandably, because they don't want to add fuel to the bigots' fire.

I think it's disgusting that the defense is even using this argument at the 5th circuit. It's offensive and disgusting. They're basically attempting to paint gay people as perverted deviants who have no capability to think about anything other than sex. I've seen a lot of legal defenses for the bans in this past year, but this one takes the cake for the most hate filled and vile. Just because some people had horrible parents, why should that effect the rights of anyone else?

Luckily, it doesn't seem like their arguments had much weight on the 5th Circuit's opinion since they're widely expected to strike down the ban.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

this really looks like programmed testimonies. or kids with a ax to grind or paid for their testimony. All these things happen in heterosexual relationships far more often. the first two woman are Christians and the second has written a book and has even been on the 700 club. So it seems they see homosexuality as a sin and are judging their parents accordingly. http://www.dawnstefanowicz.org/index.html

3. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Do these people think that if the government just made gay marriage illegal that all the gayness would just go away...?

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Gay marriage obviously wasn't even legal yet when these now-adults were allegedly emotionally abused by their gay parents, but that's not really the point of the defense anyway. Their objective was to sway the judge's opinions by painting gays as perverts with no self control in any aspect of their lives. They were intentionally demonizing gay people as a whole in a most likely failed attempt to uphold the state bans.

In my opinion, the defense didn't do themselves any favors with this tactic. It just demonstrated the point of the plaintiffs that the same sex marriage bans were passed with malice toward a minority and serve no true legal purpose.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Wow, I don't know where to begin but I'll start by saying that regardless of my personal opinions on same-sex marriage and its effect on children, I doubt that the lives of these disgruntled children would have turned out any differently just because a particular state had refused to recognize on paper that a couple was married. What these children are really objecting to is the gay lifestyle as a whole and they're out to make it illegal to be a gay parent period, married or single.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sounds like the kids were emotionally abused and don't want state sanctioned conditions for what they believe was the cause of the abuse.

Not unreasonable. People do it all the time. Carolyn Mccarthy built an entire career out this type of reasoning.

Don't think the testimony will hold legal weight (it shouldn't), but their story about blow back for not towing the line should be heard.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What? Parenthood?

8. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I wish I could introduce to the court my friend Graham, his partner, and their two beautiful (and super spoiled - in a good way) daughters.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

or they became that way after they found god.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Is there a religious component to their testimony?

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I agree but it's a very complex issue. Kids are emotionally abused by parents in traditional marriages but that doesn't mean we should ban all marriage.

It seems to me that we need to consider granting a child the ability to challenge the parental custody right of a gay parent when they reach a certain age.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Why should it be any different than the custodial rights of a straight parent? And what age would you suggest?

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

It shouldn't and I'm not really suggesting anything, I'm just thinking out loud.

This could become a very slippery slope. Imagine if a child objects to the religion of their parents and would like to challenge parental custody.

14. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Apparently just the origin of their beliefs.

What is really sad to me is that these three individuals are apparently stuck in such a place that they place the blame on their issues on their parents orientation and not their abhorrent behaviors. The will never get over their issues until they learn to differiniate the two.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

nope I did a little research. I posted one link. what little time I spent they seem to be at least Evangelical Christians that are homophobes.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm sure there are straight parents out there with kids who could give testimonies just like that. How about single mothers with children who have daddy issues? Single fathers with daughters and identity crisis problems? We're humans, we can all be flawed!

17. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I kind of hope the judges god after the defense in this case and insult the lawyers credibility which is in question now. It points out the states defense is pure depression if they are reaching that far along. It should shot down on the grounds that all of it is hear say and lets face it I can just as easily find straight parents that have kids that went threw the same stuff. Same as I can just as easily find kids who grew up with loving great gay parents.

This is a REALLY? when I look at it. It just so bad that defense has drop to this level. I am glad none of the main stream media is even touching this. It says something when even Fake news refuses to even touch it.

By that logic we should do it for straight parents. You CAN NOT have gay parents treated any differently than straight parents. That is not an option and just gives more fuel to the hateful people.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why not kids of straight parents too? :rolleyes:

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, I can't speak from experience but I can't imagine not loving one of your biological parents simply because they were gay. Even parents who disown a gay child is hard to understand.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

Emancipated minor:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_of_minors

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. This 'evidence' should be thrown out of court.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How about "anecdata"?

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

No. Just no. :mad: