Advanced Color Correction Help Needed

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm editing this concert and I have a color mismatch on one camera and it's bugging me!

Attached you'll see the main shot which is reddish and the b-roll shot which is the color I want. I'm editing on FCP7.

I also have Color and Magic Bullet Looks but I have only veeerrry basic knowledge of color correction. I tried using the 3-way color corrector in FCP and while I can match one thing, everything else seems to mismatch.

I feel like I need to correct reds, greens, and blues individually, but I don't know how to do that.

Any tips, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is this the B-Roll?
And this is the main camera?

Just out of curiosity, what is the video format/codec (AVCHD, H264, ...) the cameras recorded with? Because if it is compressed footage, it will be much harder to correct.
As I don't use FCP 7 for colour correction I can't really help there. I either use Combustion or AE (with Colorista) for that.

But I give it a try.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
simsaladimbamba, yes you are right with the shots.

Oh I forgot to mention one piece of vital information (which should also answer your question):

The B-roll camera was shot with a 60D with a Tamron 17-55 2.8 VC

and the Main camera was shot with a T2i with a Canon 70-200 2.8!

So the video format/codec should be the same!!!

I think I flopped with a white balance on the T2i, leaving it on auto. I believe I tried finding it during the concert, but gave up and hoped to fix it in post....

Nov 28, 2010
located
In addition to the "Color Corrector" you could also try the "RGB Balance" effect, to take some reds away in the midtones.
And as both cameras record as .mov using the H.264 codec, there is not much colour space includes with the footage, which means, adjusting can, if done too much, destroy certain elements.

We just colour corrected H.264 footage from a 5D Mk II and it was atrocious. Luckily we wanted black&white, but still some info was not there that could have saved us some time.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
In addition to the "Color Corrector" you could also try the "RGB Balance" effect, to take some reds away in the midtones.
This worked a bit! Strange, I did try this before but maybe I did have the patience to really fine tune the midtones, as each change can really make a difference.

Updated main shot below...maybe as close as it can get?

Attachments