Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Before I turn on iCloud advanced protection mode, I need to ensure that my wife won't kill me right in the face.

Currently we have several shared folders between the two of us where she keeps many of her important docs. If I turn on advanced protection before she does (or vice versa) will that disrupt that file share? Or does that folder just not get end-to-end encryped?

Has anyone tested this scenario and can confirm I won't be murdered by my wife?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Before I turn on iCloud advanced protection mode, I need to ensure that my wife won't kill me right in the face.

Currently we have several shared folders between the two of us where she keeps many of her important docs. If I turn on advanced protection before she does (or vice versa) will that disrupt that file share? Or does that folder just not get end-to-end encryped?

Has anyone tested this scenario and can confirm I won't be murdered by my wife?
It'll destroy your files and accidentally iMessage her a link and the encryption key to all your good stuff. Give it a year at least.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
It'll destroy your files and accidentally iMessage her a link and the encryption key to all your good stuff. Give it a year at least.

Completely incorrect.

The shared files will remain unencrypted when one of you have not enabled ADP. Once you both have ADP, the files will be end to end encrypted again and the encryption key for those files will be shared between you both to access the shared files.

If one can't see the shared files anymore, you can always disable ADP and it will unencrypt everything and go back to normal.

You can read more about it here:

Reactions: ectospheno
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.