Advantage of buying Leopard from Apple Store instead of Amazon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmFightSpam, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Hi,

Apple store is pre-selling Leopard for $129 + tax and free shipping. Amazon is selling it for $109 + tax + free shipping (if you want it).

My question is, what is the advantage of buying from the Apple Store? Does it come in a cooler package? Why spend the extra $20?

Thanks.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No reason, unless you prefer to spend extra. Amazon also won't collect sales tax.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

They might not have as much stock on release day, but then again I've never pre-ordered software from Amazon to know. Apple is almost guaranteeing that they'll have it to your door on the 26th, assuming no courier problems which would be out of their control anyway.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If paying more for a duplicate product is advantageous.. then go for it! :D

5. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Apple will fill their own orders before filling Amazon's.

Nintendo did the same thing with Wii Component cables when they were first released.

6. DanB91 macrumors 6502

i would suggest ordering it from mac mall, u get it on the 26 and shipping is free and it too is $109

7. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

Can you actually *get* it on 26th when ordering from 3rd party like Amazon and MacMall? I don't think so....

As Apple is very unlikely to ship 10.5 to 3rd party before the actual release time (say, 18:00).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well I always buy directly from the Apple Store because of my student discount. Even if there is no price difference with the discount I still buy it direct, unless the price is significantly undercut by another retailer.

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

The only advantage will be that Apple will deliver it on 26th and Amazon probably wont.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Some got Tiger a day early when ordered from Amazon.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not that great

so, the macmall deal IMHO is not that great.

The shipping is free but it is FREE AFTER REBATE, so you have to send in a form to get the money back., but you won't get it on the 26th, unless you upgrade to FEDEX shipping which is NOT free after rebate,

so, I think the amazon deal, which is ALSO 109$, is better, even if you get it a bit late, AND AMAZON DOES have a history of shipping items, based on their shipping method, to get to recipient on time for on the DAY delivery. This is not advertised as the price, but it could be

12. billmister macrumors 6502

Personally, i'm going to the apple store right after work and purchasing there.. Sure i'll have to look for parking and wait in line, but when i get home, it will just be me and my mac... Install that bad boy and play around with it.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes, it is a nicer package. The Apple store has a nice two layer peal white bag. Amazon will ship it in an ugly wrapper.

No one is saying they will deliver on the 26th. Apple now only ays "be one of the first.." with no data promised. Loks like you have to pre-order yesterday to get that.