advantage to watching 720p rips on an iP4 over regular DVD rips?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by patent10021, Jul 31, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I use foreign language movie rips for studying. It's so easy to rip regular DVDs plus it's a lot quicker to rip regular DVDs than blu-ray. With the resolution of the iP4 Im wondering if there would be a big difference in watching HD rips instead of regular DVD. Wondering if it would be worth it if my main purpose is for studying.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are not clear. Do you want to RIP DVDs or do you want to RIP Blu-ray discs?

If you want to RIP DVDs at 720p, then sit yourself down and give yourself a good talking-to. DVDs are 480p at best. Some are 480i. You cannot increase the the data on the disc by RIPping at 720p. You would simply be wasting your time.

If you want to RIP Blu-ray at 720p, then you should examine your intent. If you want to view the video on the screen of your iPhone 4, then 480p is more than adequate. Commercial DVDs viewed on my 23" ACD show no pixellation. If your video includes a significant amount of text, then you might consider RIPping at 540p if your RIPping software supports it. Unless you want to use a projector to display your video, then 720p would seem to be massive overkill.