Advantages of 8GB RAM in MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmahon70, Apr 21, 2012.

1. macmahon70 macrumors member

macmahon70

Hello, There is a promotion in a local shop for a MBP 13" 2011 with 8Gb RAM for 1199€ (converting in dollars I could get a MBP 15" for the same price in the US) What is the impact of 8Gb RAM on MBP (faster to start/load applications/import CDs to Itunes?)
    My birthday is soon on 10th May, and also hoping for new MBP line release...

Cheers,

Olivier

2. simsaladimbamba, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Your Mac will not start faster, load applications faster or import CDs faster with more RAM, but you can have more or bigger applications and documents open and the Mac will not slow down less due to less copying RAM to the HDD (swapping, page outs).

What is RAM? - measured in MB and GB

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you want everything to load up faster then an SSD is what you need. 8Gb ram will do nothing for you unless you've got many applications consuming all of the RAM

4. macmahon70 thread starter macrumors member

macmahon70

In order to avoid the little circle with colors running may be?
    Those mbps seems to be piling up on the shelves...

5. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Its much cheaper to go with a standard mbp an sort the ram and ssd on your own, there are good guides to help you if you are insecure, its too easy to do to spend loads on it. Imo anyhow

6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You probably better off buying one and upgrading the RAM yourself. RAM is helpful if your doing something like rendering full 1080p HD videos or doing some photoshop work with large very high resolution photos. In short, more RAM is used by professionals a lot because they are working with much bigger files and their applications, such as photoshop tend to be larger. If your an average user, web browsing, email, maybe a little iMovie, then the stock 4GB of RAM should do just fine for you. That being said if you end up needing more RAM down the line, you can add RAM pretty cheaply. If you want more speed, and by speed I mean faster start ups, applications and files loading faster, then you want an SSD. An SSD is super fast because its basically one giant thumb drive and unlike a HDD it has no moving parts so nothing has to rev up to read or write data. SSDs are still a touch pricey but the price is coming down. I just picked up an Intel 520 240GB for $350 total, so that wasn't too bad. But I hoped this helped a bit.

7. lamboman macrumors 6502

Beachballing is what you speak of. Beachballing occurs when an application stops responding after a period (I think 4 seconds).

The way to see if you need more memory is by taking a look at the page-outs in Activity Monitor.

8. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

I have MBP Early 2011 i7 2.7GHz model, everything would be good unless you doing something like me. Dreamweaver/Fireworks/Photoshop/iTunes/Safari/Twitter/Word at the same time. With 4GB I could do just Dreamweaver and Fireworks. Nothing more. Macbook would crash.