Advantages of AP Extreme over Billion 7800N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by angelsguardian, Sep 4, 2012.

1. angelsguardian macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've been using a TP-Link TL-WR2543ND router for a few months but it started 'forgetting' about wireless clients and the replacement did the same after a week so back to Amazon it goes for a full refund (great service as ever).
    At the moment I'm using my backup circa 2003 Airport base station connected, as was the TP Link, to a BT HomeHub as an ADSL modem. Once the refund from Amazon lands I need a new router. My network looks like this:

iMac on gigabit ethernet (when possible) to router mainly acting as iTunes server.
    2 x ATV3 connected wirelessly (one on ground floor the other on first floor, both streamed fine with the TP Link)
    2 x Macbook (pro) connected wirelessly
    1 x iPad2 which struggled a little on first floor with TP Link

I think I've narrowed my choice to a refurb Airport Extreme connected to the Homehub modem which I'll replace with a Vigor modem when I can. Alternatively a Billion 7800N which would replace the modem too. The main technical difference being the inclusion of the modem and the Airport offering simultaneous 2.4/5Ghz wireless. The financial difference is the Airport will add the cost of the Vigor modem.

Thoughts?

2. Moshu macrumors member

Go for the new Airport EXPRESS.

It's cheaper, dual band, and it does about the same things as the last year's extreme, except it has only one 100 MB Ethernet port.
    However, you might be OK with this for the iTunes server if you consider the cash savings.

Good luck!

3. angelsguardian thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm interesting plan thanks. Anyone got one and can comment on the strength and range of the 5Mhz signal compared to Extreme?