Advantages of ordering later vs. now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheStew, Oct 12, 2012.

1. TheStew macrumors member

Hi guys, I have been following the iphone 5 news and I was wondering if there's any chance that Apple will change the manufacturing process of the iphone rear covers with all the scuffs that people say they're having.

I am going to buy an iphone here in Belgium and the delivery date is now 3-4 weeks. Does anyone know around what time the iphone typically is faster available (if the availability is considered constant with every model)?

In short; would/could I have an advantage ordering later instead of now?

2. lazard macrumors 65816

3. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Order now advantage you get to enjoy your iPhone sooner!

4. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Honestly getting an iPhone now or late still brings the chance you'll get one from a bad batch....

Small percentage of ppl get those so just go for it. There's always apple care...

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Apple recently went to China to boost quality control a bit. How well that plays out is anyones guess. AppleCare + is nice to have just in case. ;)

6. TheStew thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that is the message that made me want to wait since I'd already have to wait 3-4 weeks. I'm in no hurry if I can get a phone that will be more scuff proof :)

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

You're misunderstanding. They aren't making any changes that would prevent the phone from scuffing/scratching as easy with normal use. They are just making adjustments to their quality control in an attempt to prevent as many phones from leaving the factory with scuffs/dings right out of the box.

The actual quality of the aluminum will be the same if you order now or later. Some just believe you will have a better chance of having a perfect phone right out of the box if you wait (I'm still skeptical).

In my opinion, you should just order now if you are ready. If the phone comes with scuffs on it, just take it to an Apple store and have it exchanged. I'd imagine that by the time your phone arrives in 3-4 weeks the Apple stores should be pretty stocked. If they aren't stocked by then, Apple screwed this launch up even worse than anyone could have guessed.

8. TheStew thread starter macrumors member

Alright this answers my question! Thanks

9. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

FYI US users. Applecare+ is only available there, in the US.

10. silentsim macrumors regular

11. bob24 macrumors 6502

I think in addition of improving QC there is a chance of them adjusting the manufacturing process if they figure out that the final result doesn't correspond to their specs in terms of quality. Just small adjustments though, not reinventing the all assembly process or changing the design of the phone. For example lets say they detect that some of the machines doing the anodizing are defective or sub-standard and result in lower quality than what they had specified; they could replace these machines to get more resistant anodizing on later batches. Or not even taking machines; they might just need to retrain the workers on the assembly process for them to complete it batter, or give them more time for the critical steps (I am thinking of people who are seeing gaps between the front panel and the aluminium casing).

But you will likely never know whether this happens or not.

Personally my pre-ordered one was not perfect, and rather than an exchange I decided to get my money back and decide one whether I want to buy one agin after a month or 2. That way I can read some feedback about how the anodizing behaves after a few weeks of use, and I will never know but if Apple is making some adjustments I am likely to benefit from them (plus the phone is not from the first rush batches so it has less chances of been poorly assembled).

Just my 2 cents ...