Resolved Adventures in getting my iPhone 4 unlocked from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkflounder, May 1, 2013.

1. darkflounder, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

Here's a beer. Sit down and put your feet up. This might take a while.

Bought an iPhone 4 (AT&T) from the Apple Store in early Jan 2011. In the two years of the account, had the phone replaced under warranty twice (first for the home button problem, second for a crack in the LCD (under the glass) that developed a week after getting it).

In late Jan 2013, tried to use the AT&T unlock device site to unlock the phone. Got a reply that said the following.

I assume this is because the IMEI of my current phone does not match the IMEI of the phone I originally purchased. I (unfortunately) didn't pursue it any further at that point.

A month later, the business that I partially own (and paid my phone bills) was struggling and the phone bill didn't get paid for a few months. The phone got disconnected, and eventually, the account was deactivated by AT&T.

Fast forward to today. Went to the AT&T store to pay up the past due balance, get the phone unlocked, and get it set up on T-Mobile. AT&T was unable to help, since I no longer had an account with AT&T (in fact, my former phone number has been reassigned to another customer).

AT&T cannot request an unlock from Apple if there is no account active for the phone in question.

When I asked about activating a new account for this phone, I was told that AT&T does not do "bring your own phone" plans. When I asked about a pre-paid plan, I was told that AT&T does not do pre-paid for iPhones.

So, I left the AT&T store, being referred to the phone kiosk at the mall that is rumored to be able to unlock iPhones.

Currently, I resubmitted a request to the AT&T unlock device page. When that comes back negative, I'll call AT&T support and take that as far as I go. Then, I'll call Apple support.

Anybody else ever been able to get an AT&T iPhone (post-contract) successfully unlocked after having the account deactivated?

If all else fails, I can either sell it as is on eBay, or I do owe my son an iPod Touch.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Question is, have you paid off what you owe them?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why don't you skip through all that and just pay $2 to have it IMEI factory unlocked?
    Then you can use it on any gsm carrier you want.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

So simple.

5. darkflounder thread starter macrumors regular

darkflounder

The phone account was in my business partner's name, and has been sent to collections. I was prepared to pay the past due this morning, but it never really came up. The issue wasn't the past due amount, but the lack of an active AT&T account.

----------

Please elaborate.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Swiftunlocks.com

Skip the AT&T circus. This does the same thing for only $2.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

He meant paying for one of those online IMEI unlocks found on eBay. They usually charge a small fee like $2 or $5 for the unlock. And it's IMEI based so exactly the same as a factory unlock.

8. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

+1 to swiftunlocks avoid that AT&T runaround

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

swiftunlocks dot com brah:D

10. darkflounder thread starter macrumors regular

darkflounder

OK, $2 at SwiftUnlocks.com is worth a chance.

We'll see in 12-24 hours. Thanks, guys!

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That shouldn't matter. I closed two AT&T accounts a year ago and never paid the ETFs and AT&T still unlocked my 3GS. All that matters is the account that the iPhone is tied to like you have said.

12. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If AT&T goes bankrupt tomorrow I say good for humanity.

Went over one of their unlock exercise just to get a FORM email back saying, "Request Denied due to Incomplete Information (checked 3 times) or Unauthorized Purchase." I want to shout WHAT DO YOU CARE, I don't owe you any money and it's locked to you so release your shackle you %*&^@#.

13. darkflounder thread starter macrumors regular

darkflounder

Wanted to send out a HUGE thank you to the recommendation of SwiftUnlocks.

Paid the $2, got the notification of unlock within 4 hours. Wiped and restored the phone, got verification of the unlock, and then off to T-Mobile.

Thanks everybody!

14. pleasehelpmesir macrumors newbie

I don't see anything on that site that is $2

Please helps?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All unlockers raised their prices recently.
    I think average is around $30-40 now.

16. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Probably because the thread is over 5 months old and the information is now quite outdated...

17. toadc69 macrumors newbie

toadc69

Why the 1400% price hike in the past 60 days?

I unlocked an iPhone 5 with 6.1.3 from Verizon to T-mobile with one of the services recommended here. Likely swiftunlock, for $2 in early August.

It appears that the going rate of ($25-$30) has outpaced inflation & the cost of living by a large margin.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new price. Perhaps if someone provided an explanation, it would make this easier to chew?:confused:

18. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

From what I understand, AT&T changed the way it unlocks phones.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1649366

^ massive thread on the subject