Advertisers Flee Fox’s Bill O’Reilly Show Amid Sexual Harassment Lawsuits

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Another holier than to thou pinhead in hot water again. I'm sure he's just being set up and he's really an angel.

"Fox News is in a jam this week as major automakers and smaller outfits pull their ads from the network's popular "O'Reilly Factor" show, following a series of sexual harassment claims against host Bill O'Reilly.

BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi all yanked their ads after a New York Times investigation that surfaced five sexual harassment cases against the political pundit.

They were joined Tuesday by pharmaceutical maker GlaxoSmithKline, Sanofi Consumer Care, insurer Allstate, and asset management firm T. Rowe Price.

Untuckit, a men's clothing line, and Constant Contact, an email marketer, and Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, the parent company of the Rachel Ray-endorsed dog food brand Nutrish, also announced they were pulling ads.

In total, 11 advertisers have so far withdrawn support."

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/advertisers-start-flee-bill-o-reilly-s-show-after-more-n742461

Reactions: HEK

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I heard about this yesterday but didn't really give it much thought. Fox News is known for having that type of toxic environment where sexual harassment is given the blind eye as long as you're pulling in ratings. There's a reason why many women end up leaving the network.

I tell you what though, everytime I see Jesse Watters come on I just want to punch him in the face. I don't know if it's his face, his douchey attitude or just a combination of both. /end rant

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
I heard about this yesterday but didn't really give it much thought. Fox News is known for having that type of toxic environment where sexual harassment is given the blind eye as long as you're pulling in ratings. There's a reason why many women end up leaving the network.

I tell you what though, everytime I see Jesse Watters come on I just want to punch him in the face. I don't know if it's his face, his douchey attitude or just a combination of both. /end rant
I feel the same way about Brian Stelter.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The O'Reilly show is a huge moneymaker for Fox. It had revenues of more than $450 million last year. Even allowing for O'Reilly's $18 million salary, and the other costs involved with the show - that's still got to be putting $400 million into Fox' bottom line each year.

Which is my way of saying that I don't expect Fox to fire O'Reilly anytime soon. No matter how many advertisers pull their spots from his show, there will always new ones to replace them. O'Reilly gets ratings. And nothing gets the sort of people who watch Fox News more worked up than seeing one of their idols turned into a martyr by the evil feminists.

They aren't going to do to O'Reilly what the BBC did with Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear: kill a billion dollar goose just to satisfy public outrage over bad behavior.

Bottom line: Unless something truly earth shattering comes out in the next couple of months about O'Reilly - he'll be on Fox till he's ready to quit.