Advice about buying a MBP 15´´

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drSlump, Feb 18, 2014.

1. drSlump macrumors newbie

hallo folks,

i am new on the forum. i definitely have to buy a new laptop. even though most of the applications i use for work run on windows, i am thinking about buy a mac...win8 sucks too much!

Do you all think there is an upcoming update shortly, or I could buy it?

thx a lot

2. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

Seeing as how the next Intel generation seems to be delayed possibly till 2015 I doubt things will change fast. I'm not sure it makes sense to switch if its all windows apps though. If you don't surf the start screen all the time the rest of win8 isn't that different. Have you uses it yet?

3. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

If the only question here is whether it will be refreshed soon or not (not being 6+ months) I'd say it will likely not be refreshed soon, and therefore you should buy now.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If your programs are all Windows based, get a business-class (rather than consumer) Windows-7 equipped laptop, like a Lenovo Thinkpad X or T.

5. drSlump thread starter macrumors newbie

thx to everyone

actually I have and I don´t like it. I tested it on a quite good desktop of a relative of mine and i don´t know why is so slow and crashed several times. Furthermore, i have a workstation at work and I can run most of my CAD, FEM program there.

I would like to use a laptop for archiving, text editing mainly using latex, matlab/mathematica computation, VRML editing, and 3D using 3ds max or something similar. And of course i need portability for this stuff.
    I tried a mac and it seems so stable. recently a was given an iphone as gift and it works great. So i am thinking...why not a mac

6. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

A good Windows laptop will be very stable and fast too (try a signature pc which is the equivalent to buying mac) but it will be slow and crashy if you load enough ***** on it. My rMBP has rMBP has crashed more than my win laptop in the last years... Nonetheless I love the machine and if you are willing to make the switch then go ahead. Make sure your apps run native on mac and support the graphics driver, some of the boot camp drivers are not exciting.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're using 3ds Max, it's Windows only anyway. It is not the kind of thing you would want to run on Parallels, especially on a notebook. Notebooks aren't really ideal for that at all. You'll hit a wall with far fewer polygons. If you go with Windows, just install Windows 7. It will still be supported for a long time.

8. robcrist1988 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth...

I have a MBP 15" 2011. For the instances where work requires me to use Windows-based software I bootcamp into a Windows 8.1 installation. That's not to say you have to use 8.1 -- It's completely plausible to install Windows 7 instead. That way when you need to work you have your Windows environment to run those niche applications. For everything else I do, I'm in Mavericks.

The statements that your MBP may not be as feasible for high poly rendering as, say, a desktop would be is still plausible. But consider this, it won't be any better on a feature Windows laptop than it will be on a rMBP. That being said, does it much matter?

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It depends on budget. There are options that would toast the rMBP when it comes to interacting with 3d models and previewing high res textures. Those two things rely on totally different aspects, but that's not important. The OP seemed a bit uncertain what he wants to do, given that he said 3ds Max or similar. I find that odd given that the software license is around $3500 + maintenance. Most people know what they use, because it's extremely costly to switch.

10. drSlump thread starter macrumors newbie

thx to everyone for the advice.

you mean there are specific drivers for bootcamp? windows drivers won´t work on mac? sorry but I don´t know much about this stuff on mac.

you mean install it on mac using bootcamp, or would you rather buy a win laptop?

we use 3ds max at work in order to create model for virtual reality so the exportation is the main issue. As far as I know, I am not an expert of 3D graphics, several software allow texturing, application of lights and so on. so we are exploring ather software solutions.
    this is why I said "similar", because there are several software that would be good and some of them are available on mac. so maybe I could use it. but in any case, this wouldn´t be the main issue as I have a workstation at work.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you might be better off getting a windows machine over a MBP, if your needs are to run windows apps.

Check out Lenovo, they make good business laptops

12. Gman021 macrumors regular

Would Apple possibly put IGZO in a mid refresh or would that be something done during a complete refresh (new architecture. Major internal hardware upgrades)