ADVICE: Any way to get record log of actual text messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s4play, Aug 22, 2008.

1. s4play macrumors newbie

So I have this AT&T account and lost all my vitial text messages that was sent/received in the past month.....

Does AT&T have a log (transcript) of the actual text messages per account holder?

I heard of the FBI/government being able to pull what actual text messages say but in this case I just need critical client information on my cell number?

thanks in advance! :D

2. iblastoff macrumors 6502

3. Love Juice macrumors regular

i don't think so unless it's for legal reasons (ordered by the courts) or the authorities request it.

i could be wrong, but i called CS once and the rep told me that it was kept for some time, but they could not release the info.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, the NSA probably has a copy, but I'm not sure about AT&T. I'd suggest PhoneView, you can export texts, call logs, and pretty much anything else from the phone without too much of a hassle. Sorry that wont help you now,.....

*Actually, when was the last time you backed up your phone? If it was within a day or too, you can just restore from that backup and will have all the messages prior to that (that is, unless you backed up AFTER losing the messages; in which case you're boned.)

5. s4play thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if it's my own phone number / account? :confused:

I guess this comes up from time to time about our own privacy and HOW PRIVATE is our text conversations in reality? If there is no way to get it short of FBI I guess it makes it safer for us a whole population?

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but you're kidding, right? No one is "safer" by having the NSA (in charge of domestic surveillance) retain these records.

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Correct. Bored gov't workerbees are giggling right now over x-rated text messages they get to read all day looking for "dangerous" messages. The government is now free to spy on you, so thank your congressmen.

Yes at&t records all text messages. No, they will not release them to you. Backup all your important data to a secondary location.

8. jacksam101 macrumors member

In the UK the iPhone provider "02" has a free service called "Bluebook" which you can sign up for and will save all your outgoing and incoming texts.

The only downside with this service is it doesn't seem that you can sync the iphones contacts easily so the text messages just appear with the tel number as sender - but even so they are saved if you need them.

9. cristo macrumors regular

There's a lesson here somewhere: don't leave "vital client information" in text messages on your phone!

10. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I use a program called Mobile Sync Browser. It backs up my text messages each time I sync my iPhone. If you donate $ to the creator of the app., you can unlock the ability to save text messages as a text file. The program runs *really* slow but otherwise it works like a charm.

11. iblastoff macrumors 6502

or just jailbroke your iphone so you can keep a copy of sms.db at all times.