Advice, do I need to just bite the bullet and upgrade to 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lunchbox700, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

My iPhone 4S (that is only a few months old) is struggling with iOS 6. It keeps losing my bookmarks and then magically 12 hours later they're back. It stalls coming out of apps a lot of times. I have the mysterious wifi issues. Honestly it's a lot of little things that are just starting to dislike iOS and I don't really want switch operating systems because I don't like the other ones. I rarely complain about iOS but the last few weeks I find myself getting frustrated with my phone more and more.

I have an upgrade available but was going to wait a few months and wasn't in a hurry but wondering if it seems that ios6 is better on the 5 and this will reduce my headaches.

2. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

If its only a few months old I'd take it in and try to get it swapped for a new one or try doing a fresh install. iPhone 5 is worth the upgrade but its upto you if you wanna grab it or wait for next gen

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Your 4S should be running iOS 6 just fine. Sounds like you got another problem.

4. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

My 4s was 2 months old when the iphone 5 came out, and I purchased the 5 .

I am giving my 4s to my daughter for Christmas as it's still brand spanking new.

I don't see the need to buy the 5, (I did, but I really wanted it!) the 4s is just as capable for all your needs.

5. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Since you already invested a significant amount of money on the 4S, I think you should make the best out of it. Upgrading to the 5 should be your last resort IMO, in the event the resuscitation of your 4S fails.

The problem should lie with the OS & not the phone itself. Plug it into iTunes & do a CLEAN restore. That means setting up as a new phone. The hardest part would be getting everything back into the phone, but the process will be worth it. Hope this helps! :)

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

don't bite a bullet.. suicide isn't the answer

7. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Lol

----------

Keep your 4s it's a great phone.

8. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I would try and do fresh install. The 4s shouldn't struggle running iOS 6. My girlfriends iPhone 4 doesn't even struggle with iOS 6. Not a ton changed over iOS 5 that would affect performance too much.

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

My 4S ran iOS6 just fine. Something must be wrong with your phone. There are 3GS running iOS6.

The 4S is still a very capable fast phone. Running iOS6 is no sweat for it. My phone actually felt faster with iOS6.

The 5 wasn't enough for me to upgrade. I've only had my 4S for barely a year, and don't feel the need to part ways with it yet.

10. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Fresh install of 6 or bring it in to Apple to get it checked out, should be running 6 just fine as others have said. My 4s ran it as well as my 5 is

11. AJAAY macrumors regular

Just get the 5. It's okay. The 5 is the answer. Do it.

12. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I get the bookmark thing on iPhone 5.

Just close the app in back grounding and re open it and it should come back.

13. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Restore to the new 6.0.1 and setup as new.
    Dont restore from backup just incase its a software bug issue with your backup file.

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

5 is taller and lighter but software should be glitch-free on the 4S. Looks like you have another problem. Don't forget that not everyone, but a good amount of people are reporting iP5 wifi and cell data issues which to me is a bigger concern than would be anything else since data is so important to these devices.

16. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I'm tired of people on the internet thinking used devices are new... it's why buying used phones on eBay sucks so much.

17. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

But then how would he get his data? Just wondering. I couldn't do it because I had a ton of pics.

18. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Upload your pics to icloud.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can copy most of your stuff to the icloud. And sync it back from there.
    Contacts, pics etc...
    Some stuff will be lost but its always better to start clean than keep inheriting bugs from previous backups and ios installs.

20. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Aww, I am sick and tired of people on the internet thinking their opinion is law. But hey suck it up like everyone else has to ;)

21. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

You should back up your data on the iPhone and then take it to an Apple store and explain your issues. They may give you a new iPhone in which case you can restore your data. That is what my father-in-law did. He took it to the store first and when they couldn't fix it, they told him to go home to do a back up and then bring the phone back. He got a replacement unit and restored the old data.

22. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Hah... yes, the English language, in all of it's many forms is nothing more than my personal opinion.

This has nothing to do with the origin of the term "brand-new" which dates back over 400 years and means exactly this:

"...new and unused."

c1570 Webster

But hey, go right ahead and continue to live in your own parallel universe where one can operate an item for months on end, only to present it later to another as having never been used.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might not have been clear by the OP but I think he meant that he bought his 4S new 2 months before the iphone 5 came out.
    Or that's what it sounded to me. Maybe Im off.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

First do a full reset. You'll have to redo settings but not content. If that fails, do a clean install. If you still have problems, then consider a new phone (4s replacement under warranty or new 5).

25. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Chill, buddy. [​IMG] She's keeping it in the family, not selling it. I say "Merry Christmas!" :)