Advice for anyone torn between buying now or waiting for the new/updated MBP.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickZac, Dec 31, 2010.

  1. NickZac macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #1
    This is the official thread about how to control your impulsiveness to buy a MBP even though you want to wait for the upgrade. We will get you through this!


    Here is one idea...
    A friend of mine told me something today which was amusing but very sensible. He wants a 13 inch MBP loaded, but is torn due to its coming update. But, he needed a computer right then and their, in the immediate.

    Q) So how did he avoid having to buy a MBP currently only to be upset when it gets upgraded shortly after?

    A) By purchasing another laptop

    He bought a used laptop on Craigslist for $150 and is using it until the new MBP comes out. Once it does, he will sell the used laptop, (and honestly I think he will get $150 out of it so he would not take any financial loss), and he gets what he wants.

    Whatcha think? It sounds ridiculous, but if you want the update but need a computer ASAP, it does allow you to get both options fulfilled.



    What other advice do you have to cope with the pain of waiting to purchase the MBP even though you want one soooooooooooo bad?
     
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

    rdowns

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
  3. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
  4. Individual macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2010
    #4
    Use a desktop. It won't kill people to use one for a month or two.
     
  5. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

    calaverasgrande

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Location:
    Brooklyn, New York.
    #5
    well there is also that, waiting for Apple to come out with the next iteration isn't always going to solve everything. Who knows. Maybe Apple wont go to a new chip on the MBP line. Maybe they will just bump the processor speed up one notch on each model. Maybe make a change in the GPU as well.
    Heck, I would hate to be that guy that waited for the next model of 15" MBP pro and then when it came out it didnt have firewire or didnt have expresscard!
     
  6. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #6
    I was hoping for another Should I buy it Now? thread. :(
     
  7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    Does your friend not have a computer whatsoever at the moment? If they do, does it do what they need it to do? If so, they don't need a new unit like yesterday and I think they can wait. I know its painful... I've been there (like many others).
     
  8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #8
    why not just go use the computers at the library?
     
  9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #9
    Use another laptop while waiting to buy a MBP?

    Wow. What an insight.

    I don't mean to be crass but aren't you just stating the obvious? (As there are only 2 options - use nothing or something else).
     
  10. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #10
    No right now he has a cheap old laptop. It doesn't do everything he wants to do (ex dead battery), but it will get him through for the next couple of months



    Yes, but then you still have the option of buying the previous model. We don't know what is coming out, and it would really suck to buy now and next week see something better for the same price



    This is true, but you could say buying one today and then 2 weeks later seeing the new one come out with features you want can suck; replacing a MBP is $$$.
     
  11. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #11
  12. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #12
    You could also say that you don't need a computer at all, and you never need something as expensive as a MBP, especially since there are equally capable machines at a lesser price. Furthermore, getting by doesn't necessarily mean doing well. Sometimes you have to make some sacrifices to get what you really want and he really wants the newer, upcoming MBP.
     
  13. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #13
    I agree completely with you on this (I even thought about adding that argument to my reduction too, really)- but the only honest advice I can see is a polite 'do what you want to do'.

    Given this thread seems to have turned into a discussion on the question itself, I'd like to make the observation that most of the posts of this nature that I've read recently have been researched beforehand and boil down to not wanting to invest in something that'll be 'outdated' very shortly. This is something outside the need question- I imagine anyone with a professional requirement will have something already (and that something with a larger margin than what could be potentially increased in the next refresh) plus the current generation is excellent and capable of nearly anything that a lot of people will be able to throw at it.

    If I were in this situation I'd be reluctant to part with the money knowing that I could have got more if I'd have waited a bit longer, but the only thing that will answer this question is the new models on the shelves. I personally don't mind it myself, its a discussion board (and I've enjoyed a couple of chats on the subject). btw, thanks for the SSD post- I appreciate the effort that went into it and I'll be glad to refer to it when I'm looking to make that upgrade.

    Regards, K
     
  14. articcine macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2010
    Location:
    Lillehammer, Norway
    #14
    But what about those of us who are waiting for the upgrade, and thinks it's sooo painful, but isn't going to buy a $150 used computer, because we already have one that will last the next few months.. My problem is to stay away from Apple store, and not buy it until the upgrade.
     
  15. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

    NickZac

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    #15
    It's worth waiting, especially if you want the 13 inch. With that said, it is possible that the update will not be as significant as some people believe. For what I do, power isn't a major issue. Even if power isn't an issue, you have to think about what possible features may appear on the new MBP (HDMI. BluRay, better ergos, better screen, better HDDs, etc). Stay strong!


    I agree with you 100%. At this point, it is worth waiting as once the new one is released, you can choose to buy either generation. Since the MBP is expensive, you don't want to buy something and think 'darn, why did I not wait?' Because we have no idea what features or price will come about, we cant say if waiting is worth it or not so I see it as more of a safe bet to hold off and as you said, most people already have some form of computing power.
     
  16. Lisa89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    #16
    I'm a graphic design student who has her final jury in june. I've been waiting for 1,5 year to upgrade my Macbook Pro. (15 inch mbp 2007) Now, he's too slow to even work properly. Everyday I loose at least an hour because my laptop is crashing. If not more. I can't do anything with photoshop anymore, and even my Chrome is difficult to use. Of course, I can buy an old windows, but that doesn't solve my problem. Then, i will have problems with the user display and environment i'm not used to anymore. Then, when all my files are in order i have to switch back to mac... hmm. There's also the fact that cheaper laptops will have the same problem i have right now: they just aren't as powerful enough. The next months are really crucial and this switching to an other laptop and back just doesn't work for me.

    It's possible there may come out a new MBP tomorrow or next week, but you can't keep on waiting for updates. If you need one and really can't do without it's time to buy a new one. If you can wait, you don't REALLY need one right now. Just wait as long as you can, but when you start to loose productivity, time and it gives you stress, it's time to buy.
     
  17. Burrel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #17
    So are you going to take your own advice and get one now seeing as it appears you can't do without waiting!?
     
  18. ron1004 macrumors 6502

    ron1004

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    Louisville, KY
    #18
    Buy from BestBuy and if a new model comes out within a month or two, return it and buy another one - sounds possible, but in reality not, because about one month before the release of a new model you'll find BestBuy are all out of stock.

    If you buy from an Apple Store they charge a handsome restocking fee on returns.
     
  19. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2010
    #19
    Its stupid waiting for a machine unless you don't need one then. Buy the best you can when you need it. As soon as you start waiting, your be waiting for ever, because there is always something round the corner. If he needs a MBP now, get one, if he wants/can wait till a potential refresh, go for that..

    Its just a computer..
     
  20. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #20
    Best Buy does not charge a restocking fee anymore. You also have only 14 days to return something. So this would not work out at all
     
  21. jackrv macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
  22. Lisa89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    #22
    Yes! My new one just came in yesterday :D (15" basemodel) And i'm so happy with it! The difference in performance is night and day. (even with the 4gig of ram, but will update it to 8 gig within a few days)

    The hires ag screen really worthwile. I don't have the feeling i will miss out on anything if the new one comes out. It does what i need when i need it, and i'm not frustrated/stressed anymore. My peace of mind is more important right now :rolleyes:
     
  23. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

    Medic278

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #23
    The impel solution is that if he NEEDS a computer now the you buy one now. I have a late 2011 13" dual core i7 and I love it. It is light and thin and lightning fast and handles any task I throw at it with ease. There is always going to be an update coming up or something better on the horizon you can wait forever and never be happy. Plus with all of the rumors out there, Apple may even drop the 13" MBP, go to a hybrid design and drop things like the optical drive which for some people (like myself) we still use it, so my advice is if he likes the computers now, then go and pick one up!
     
  24. swartzfeger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2012
    #24
    My 2006 17" has been hanging by a thread since late 2009. The last few months have been increasingly difficult but was trying to hold out as long as possible.

    I ordered an early 2011 17" 2.3 matte yesterday and it arrives today. $1985.28.
     
  25. Blues003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    #25
    My Sony Vaio from 2007 lasted me until 3 weeks ago. 2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, Nvidea "Ticking Time-bomb" 8600m GT. It finally died.

    I am therefore using a 2008 Toshiba, mom's old laptop. 1.6GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core, 2GB RAM, and I'm not sure of the GPU. I want to hold as long as I possibly can for my first Mac, because if I am to spend money, I want to spend it well. It's a painful wait on such a laggy computer.

    I'll be trying to hold out until this Ivy Bridge refresh happens. If I needed a new computer ASAP I'd probably buy a 150$ one and sell it after I got the Mac in May~June.
     

Share This Page