Advice for preordering iphone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EM2013, Sep 2, 2013.

1. EM2013 macrumors 6502a

EM2013

Hello all, need some advice for preordering the new iphone as this is my first time preordering (as well as my first post on here).

Is it better to order through Apple's website? Or through my carrier's website? Which is Sprint for me, which will be better to order from as far as getting it on the first day of release? Or does it not matter?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Either is fine, just do it during the early morning since after there will be a waiting period of months before you can get any iPhone.

3. EM2013 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EM2013

Oh okay thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm planning on buying as soon as possible cause I don't wanna have to wait months for it lol

4. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I've always done it through my carrier (Verizon). To guarantee you get a phone, order it as close to 12am of the day pre orders start. I know sometimes the carrier's and apple's website can go down. If that happens, I believe the apple store app for iOS usually works, despite apple's website being down.

5. EM2013 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EM2013

Thanks, I'm definitely downloading the apple app. Another question is when preorders start? I'm on central time

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

using the "apple store" iphone app is faster

sometimes the at&T/verizon website has problems with all the traffic

7. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I meant to say 12am PST, so that would be 2am CST.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I did this last year (I'm on Sprint too). I camped out at Sprint's website around 12am and kept refreshing the page until the iPhone appeared in the store.

Never happened…or at least not then. Sprint's website caved in the first five minutes and all I got was a lot of nothing. So, I switched to Apple's store. Apple was late and the iPhone 5 didn't go live until 12:31am. I'm in Phoenix, which at that time of year is Mountain Time I think (we don't observe DST).

My advice is to go through Apple. Apple's site has the power to handle the load. Not only that but your purchase will be direct through Apple (they will handle all the details with Sprint, and will know if you have an upgrade) and if you get Applecare+ it means you deal only with Apple when there is an issue.

That's a blessing if you've ever spent any time in a Sprint store trying to convince the employees that the issue with your phone is NOT your fault.

Just keep it with Apple and leave Sprint out of it except for the plan and you'll do just fine.

9. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Not to hijack but what all info do we need to have with us when ordering?

I have verizon, so like last 4 of social, account number, phone number to upgrade, etc.

Also, if I'm using a family member's upgrade I can just order it like its for his account, activate it on his line, then immediately switch it to my line no problem, right?

Also, if we get it through apple, is there any sort of insurance? I have Best Buy insurance for my current phone, and have had assurion in the past. Or is applecare+ the best deal?

10. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Indeed she does, they especially want to be sure they keep those customers a coming and preordering.

But in all seriousness, Apple's server crashed with iPhone 5 and many other releases too I believe. Probably a lot less so than Sprint's, in any case.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…maybe that's why Apple was late last year. All I had until 12:31am was their store updating web page.

----------

I'm on Sprint, so I can only give you what I was asked for. First, my carrier, and then my phone number so Apple could determine if I was eligible for an upgrade. At that time both lines on my family plan were eligible so it was a matter of telling the store what I wanted and then paying for it.

See above.

No idea, I didn't switch anything. That may be something you have to do at your carrier's site.

No insurance, only Applecare+. Applecare+ is an extended warranty and not insurance. There's also Squaretrade (squaretrade.com) which is Applecare+, but covers loss and theft.

12. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

If you go through Verizon's website (which I've never had any problems with), you need to sign into My Verizon. If the family member whom has the upgrade also has a smartphone, you just need to have access to the Account Managers (this is the person/number in charge of the family plan) login info. That way you can transfer the upgrade to your number. If they don't have a smartphone, then you will have to buy the phone on their number and switch it to your number once you get it.

13. gonzalo12345 macrumors member

from my experience last year with the 5; at the time the iphone was able to be preordered, apple's and AT&T's website were slow; i kept refreshing but they were sold out in minutes, mostly the black color. I went to the carrier the next morning to pre-order with the promise it would be delivered on launch day, but later I received an email that i was going to be delivered on october instead of september 21st. So I went to my nearest apple store in the mall and on launch day, waited in like for 45 minutes and i walked out with a shinny new iphone. I cancelled AT&T preordered and it was that easy.

This year might be different, since people can choose between the 5S and 5C, so they might have a better supply.

Also if they are sold out in apple's store or with your carrier try best buy, radioshack or even walmart. They had plenty stock last year.

14. 22mac macrumors member

In the UK is it best to pre-order on Apple website or is it better to go to an apple store and wait in line?

15. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

8AM GMT for us Brits!

----------

Personally I'm ordering online. But I've heard people say we should order through the Apple Store app to avoid site crashes.

16. 22mac macrumors member

Ok glad its not 3 in the morning or something like that. :)

17. Azy macrumors regular

Also a UKer who will be pre-ordering the new iPhone for the first time.

I take it that upon said release date in the UK pre-orders will be on my carriers website from 8am GMT so just need to make sure I am ready to put my pre-order in as soon as possible from 8AM. I get a discount through my carrier as long as I order directly from them.

I really don't like the idea of having to wait until October now as my upgrade has been due for ages and its taken a lot of will power not to upgrade to the IP5 as I'm still on the IP4

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Pre-order. I lined up for an iPhone 4 in Westfield, took me six and a half hours to get into the shop. Not very fun. Last year, got the iPhone 5 pre-ordered and it was delivered at about 10AM - much more fun!

19. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

That's strange. I live on the east coast, so I woke up at 2:30. At 3 AM I began refreshing the pages like crazy (I had both sprint and apple pages already up). The apple page was the first to come up. I had my phone pre-ordered by 3:15 and had the confirmation soon after that. I had to wait about a half hour for the nerves to come down but I was back in bed by 3:45 content that my phone was going to be on its way. Planning on doing the same thing this year, but this year I will also have a IPhone with the Apple store app also ready. Maybe its unjustified, but the app makes me a little nervous. Never ordered off of it before so I worry that a glitch in the app will lose my order. And after waking up in the middle of the night to order it, it needs to be launch day delivery.

20. brown.eyed.girl macrumors member

Never having pre-ordered before, I was wondering - when does Apple usually allow pre-orders to begin? Will it be on Sept. 10 after the event/announcement? Or a later date at midnight? Or the projected release date (whether it's Sept. 20 or later)?

21. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

From what I can tell, they announce on Tuesday and then preorders go on sale that Friday at 12 AM PST

22. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

as others have said....12 midnight PST. If you even think about waking up on the 13th and trying to place a order you will wake up with a nice 2 to 3 weeks on shipping on the Apple Store. If i remember last year by 7am i think the iPhone 5 was already delayed. Your next best bet would be to try carrier sites or camp out for the phone at a Apple Store.

23. Motherload0211 macrumors member

For me, Apple web site or in the store for a purchase. Apple gives you 30 days to use it and if not happy, one can send it back in a free shipping box and there is no charge. Most carriers in the USA only have a 14 day return period.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

24. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I agree. If you don't preorder at the right time, you won't see iPhones probably before June 2014. So hurry up!

25. bkribbs, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

bkribbs macrumors 65816

Any advantage of ordering through apple compared to through verizon?

(Or vise versa)

EDIT: also about how long after they go live do they usually start getting delayed?