Other Advice for the rest of us: don’t read MacRumors forums!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profmatt, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

McRumors no different than other forums.

Almost ever forum I visit the members are finding flaws about their vehicle, phone, watch, fishing vessel, etc.

It is just the nature of how it works.

Still worth reading as there is a LOT of great info. Just toss out the best and the worst and the truth is somewhere in between.

2. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

take a pinch of salt. not too much, bad for your health. now throw pinch of salt over shoulder to ward off evil.

it's called kicking the tires

go in with your eyes wide shut, or open? is it 1.0? last batch from prototype? ever not seen OS without bugs during first 6 months?

I'd bet Apple looks in on forum such as this to see what people say and to learn from.

3. jbizzybeetle macrumors 6502a

If I could “like” this 12 times, I would!

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I could be wrong but since this thread was created the OP has owned an iPhone X and returned it. The negative opinions were not all bad advice lol :)

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Remember somebody else's experience on new products has no reflection on yours

6. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

It's funny I had the opposite reaction on the iPhone x....where people here stated that the notch was not a big deal and it seems like its "not even there" comment.... welll saw the x and guess what IT there....stands out like a sore thumb.

7. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Yes, agree with you. The thing is, if there were less overly dramatic posts and presenting everything as a scandal, we could have a real discussion about the benefits and flaws of a certain product. We could get informed.

The battery issue is the perfect example. There are questions I have about batteries in general - but I can’t have that discussion because if I asked any question, there would be 100 “Apple is a crooked company” answers and I honestly don’t want to add fuel to that fire. Or, I would love to hear some experience of Galaxy S8 users, because I like how that phone is built but really dislike how its software looks and the screen looks garish to me. But I’d love to hear from people who do like it, and how do they compare it to the iPhone X. Instead, half the replies would be “Apple is not innovating anymore, Galaxy is so obviously better. Fact.”

So, most of the time spent here I just argue with all the haters, because I find that kinda fun, but that really defeats the true purpose of this forum. I don’t really understand it - if you dislike an Apple product, get something else. If you want a different Apple product, write an honest feedback and send it to them (and no, “fire Tim Cook” is not feedback). But if you really believe their flagship product is a disaster - why are you here? I don’t get it.

Anyway, back to your post - yeah, iPhone X is a great device for a lot of people. I certainly love mine. Just as you said - you already have a great phone and one day you’ll upgrade to something like the X and have a new great phone. It’s better to avoid certain comments here, they can spoil your enthusiasm :)

Still, there are good posters here and people can be great help, the reason I still stick around.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    There is a VAST difference between “everything is not ok here, let’s talk” and “Apple is a crooked company that makes really crappy stuff to con you out of your money and anyone who doesn’t see it is a sheep, a zealot and they drink Kool-Aid #firetimcook” kind of attitude. I’ll let you decide which type of criticism is prevalent here, but keep in mind that people like the OP are not against criticism in general or genuine discussions with different opinions.

8. profmatt thread starter macrumors 68000

profmatt

Yes, somewhat ironically, that's true. Though I'm enjoying the fact that this thread suddenly resurrected and my OP got an extra fifteen thumbs up.

I didn't return the X because it's a bad phone. I had no complaint with the quality. I just fell out of love with it. That's partly because I kept seeing ads for the Samsung Galaxy S8 and it made the iPhone X look pretty poor by comparison. And partly because I saw a friend's iPhone 6S and I just loved how small and light and thin it was.

So now I have an iPhone 8. And I'm loving it.

9. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Haha, loving this. “I stopped loving the iPhone X because of Galaxy S8 and now I have an iPhone 8”. Hey man, as long as you’re happy these are all great devices. And I agree with all your comments on negativity - personally, I am always glad when people are happy with their devices, whatever they may be.

But then again, I understand the weight comment - Galaxy S8 is lighter, similar to 6/6S/7/8. I guess the steel band on the X makes it heavier.

Still in love with my X. Haha, read that as an “ex” and it sounds wrong :) But seriously, I can’t put my iPhone down.

10. newellj macrumors 603

Hey Matt, refresh my memory: which color and size 8?
    This is just a WAG but I'm wondering if it's the steel chassis (not the band per se) and the extra battery? I have no real idea nor even any basis on which to speculate, I'm must guessing. :D

11. profmatt thread starter macrumors 68000

profmatt

Haha. There is some logic to it. Most iPhone purchases are not rational decisions. So when I fell out of love with the iPhone X because I saw something better, I got rid of it because it cost £999. I can't get a Samsung because I'm too deep into the Apple ecosystem. And I needed a phone, so I got the cheapest new phone, i.e. the iPhone 8. I saved nearly a third of the cost of the iPhone X. I got a phone that performs pretty much exactly the same. And so I'm happy.
    Regular size in Gold. Wasn't initially thrilled with the colour, but it grew on me. It's now in an Apple leather case and looks very smart.

12. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Shame on you, sir! How can you say S8 is better! Jk, it’s a matter of taste at this point.

I like the S8, but to me it’s far from better, especially due to their interface design. But it’s a great phone. Personally, I like both the X and the 8 better, but that’s just me.

13. profmatt thread starter macrumors 68000

profmatt

I know nothing of the OS or interface. I just think it's a much better looking phone externally. IMHO, obviously.

And I genuinely actually prefer the 8 to the X. I like the square corners and the bezels. And, it turns out, I do prefer TouchID.

None of which is to say the X is a bad phone. It's just not for me.

14. newellj, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

newellj macrumors 603

Well, I returned two iPhone Xes today, and did walk out of the store with a silver 64gb 8 and a leather case, so I know what you mean. My wife's 6 is getting very slow, and it's not the battery. So we'll see...

What we didn't like about the X:

- top corner access for control panel and notifications
    - never got email notifications working as they do on her 6/my 7 (or the 8 we are trying)
    - ApplePay is a cluster**** on the X
    - the gorgeous OLED display nevertheless causes headaches if looked at for a while
    - can't unlock the phone on a desk to table without picking it up
    - ironically, too many unwanted unlocks when handling the phone

It is an amazing phone. FaceID is not crap, though I still prefer TouchID. It came down to the question of whether the phone was working for me/her or I/she was working for the phone.

15. macTW Suspended

The fake part is when they say things like:

“This phone isn’t even worth $300”

“I’ve had 5 bad screens... Worst. Release. Ever. It’s never been this bad for Apple.”

“Man Apple isn’t selling as many of these new phones as I want them to. Down with Tim Cook, he deserves to be fired.”

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

"McDonalds is so greedy! I ordered a Big Mac and the bread in the middle had a huge chunk missing- like a whole millimeter! Ray Kroc would never have allowed this. Good thing Burger King is around, their products are so much better. The Whopper makes the Big Mac look obsolete- but I guess stupid McShills won't ever find that out!!!"

- McRumors User "McSucks57" on their daily rant about Burger King being better than McDonalds

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

The S8 is perhaps the best looking phone of 2017 I quite agree. The OS is the snag for me though. Like yourself if I had needed a phone this year I’d likely have gone with the iPhone 8 too. The X looks nice but hideously expensive for what it is. I couldn’t justify the cost just to run iOS when there is a cheaper alternative.

18. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

You’re exactly right. There are more negative OCD threads than positive ones. This is the best iPhone to date and I’m very happy with it.

19. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

It isn't people being picky. It is that the quality isn't consistent. It sucks playing the Apple lottery.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple is the only company with mass produced products where there are some variations for some at times?

21. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

The real problem is that people are followers. Everything these days are battling to influence you. This is why some companies deploy paid trolls to try an influence fans to go elsewhere. Don't be a follower. Use forums as a data point and make up your own mind. I know it easier said than done though.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Reference the Bolded in your Post, Excellent advice and that's how it should be. Only the user can make informed decisions of what purchases and how to go about something.