Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDannyxD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Next month, I was planning on buying my first iPhone, the iPhone 5, until I heard the rumors of the iPad mini, I wanted both then, I simply can't afford the two of them.

Would it be worth my while getting an iPhone 4 next month when it goes down in price next month and a iPad mini (if rumors are true & price range) or just an iPhone 5?

Any advice would be great :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If the Mini rumors are true, it will only have a 1024x768 screen. I'd get the new iPhone this year and the inevitable retina upgrade on the Mini next year.

Of course, this is an impossible question to answer until we know for sure.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Also, all the rumors/speculation is that iPad Mini (assuming it is revealed next month) won't be available right away like the new iPhone will be. So you would have some time to save up for it and/or decide if you want it.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If the Mini rumors are true, it will only have a 1024x768 screen. I'd get the new iPhone this year and the inevitable retina upgrade on the Mini next year.

Of course, this is an impossible question to answer until we know for sure.

It just doesn't make sense to me that they would release it without a Retina display... Guess we will have to wait for the reveal, or more reliable rumors.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Next month, I was planning on buying my first iPhone, the iPhone 5, until I heard the rumors of the iPad mini, I wanted both then, I simply can't afford the two of them.

Would it be worth my while getting an iPhone 4 next month when it goes down in price next month and a iPad mini (if rumors are true & price range) or just an iPhone 5?

Any advice would be great :)

Do you really need an ipad mini?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If the iPad mini, then iPhone + iPad mini, and I would sell my "big iPad" in a heartbeat. But not right away, I would probably have to wait until I get a bit more cash, as the phone to me, is more important than the iPad, as it is a piece of technology that is always on me no matter what, whereas my iPad and MacBook are generally left at home, or only taken with me on long trips.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It just doesn't make sense to me that they would release it without a Retina display... Guess we will have to wait for the reveal, or more reliable rumors.

It makes sense to me because they can't keep compatibility with current iPad apps without using the same resolution (or half) as the iPad 3, which already gets hot at 9.7".

shahhelan

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
apple has not officially announced the exact specification n functions of this phone. But, some features are dictated by analysts n experts.

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
According to them, the iphone5 is a sim less set with two to three internal antennae. It will have a sim slot to insert any country’s sim except USA. It is said that its screen will be slightly bigger ranging from 3.7 to 4 inches with curved glass display.
Another, estimation is that it will be tear drop shaped nad will be slimmer and lighter than earlier models with aluminum plate casing.

This is wrong, the same phones that we get in the US will be the same one that everyone else will get- with a SIM card slot. What's different is that the US ones are locked to the carrier unless you buy factory unlocked.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It makes sense to me b/c Apple needs to keep costs low to maintain competitive with the cheap price point of mini tablets (all while maintaining their ridiculous margins).

It also makes sense to me b/c Apple has yet to release a new product with "Retina," they've all been upgrades: iPhone, iPad, MBP.

Finally, it makes sense to me b/c it'll give them something to upgrade for the next product cycle, so they can sell a gazillion more.

-Will

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I think you'll have a nice set when you go for an iPhone 4 + iPad mini. However, do not forget that the iPhone 4 is already 2 years old.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
This one is easy, the iPhone 5. The iPhone 4 is already two years old. You will be signing a contract for two years. Do you really want to be in contract on a phone pushing four years in age? That is an eternity is the mobile phone world. Get the iPhone 5 and save your money for an iPad Mini. It's bound to be no more than $300 so pick up an extra day at work or pack your lunch for a couple months to save up. If in the second year of your contract your sick of the old phone the cost of replacing it will be substantially more than the cost of an iPad Mini.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It makes sense to me because they can't keep compatibility with current iPad apps without using the same resolution (or half) as the iPad 3, which already gets hot at 9.7".

That is a good point.

According to them, the iphone5 is a sim less set with two to three internal antennae. It will have a sim slot to insert any country’s sim except USA. It is said that its screen will be slightly bigger ranging from 3.7 to 4 inches with curved glass display.
Another, estimation is that it will be tear drop shaped nad will be slimmer and lighter than earlier models with aluminum plate casing.

I am almost 100% sure there will not be a tear drop phone, there have been a lot of discussions on why that is not possible.

Also, they have never had a different phone for other countries. They set it up as a "World Phone"... so this would not make sense.

It makes sense to me b/c Apple needs to keep costs low to maintain competitive with the cheap price point of mini tablets (all while maintaining their ridiculous margins).

It also makes sense to me b/c Apple has yet to release a new product with "Retina," they've all been upgrades: iPhone, iPad, MBP.

Finally, it makes sense to me b/c it'll give them something to upgrade for the next product cycle, so they can sell a gazillion more.

-Will

It makes more sense in terms of price point and to have half the resolution...

I doubt it is so they can "update" it next year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.