Advice needed about setting up new iPhone 4s please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Markyboy81, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

Hi all, wonder of anyone can help me. I've been lucky enough to get hold of a new iPhone 4s to replace my iPhone 4, which my wife will be having. Also have an iPad 1 which shares the same apple ID as the iPhone 4. I'm thinking now whether to set up the iPhone 4s as a new phone or restore it from a back up from the iPhone 4? I've heard restoring from a back up could lead to battery problems. Ideally I'd like to restore from a back up and use the same apple ID so I can share apps bought between devices. If the two iPhones have the same apple ID will there be any issues with messaging each other? And also will there be a problem using iCloud? The only thing I use iCloud for at the moment is for a wifi back up once a day when it's plugged in.
    Many thanks for your help!

2. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Won't hurt to try it. The operating system may just need a little time to learn the new hardware. You can restore it from backup then reset your settings. This will leave your content but set it up as fresh so to speak.

You can use that apple id in just the store (settings > store) change the apple id there and you can have a completely different one tied to iCloud for backups and photos. Nothing wrong with sharing one id but there are options to use different ones in different places.

You can either use your individual phone numbers for messaging OR you can set up different email accounts in Settings > messages. This can be completely unrelated to your base iCloud account.

Only if you run out of space.

3. fronzman macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would just set it up as a new device, use the same appleID, and load content again. You'll lose saved games etc but it will be clean with no chance of you pulling over something from the 4 that you don't want. I have 6 iDevices all on the same ID.
    For iMessage just add a different email address for hers and then you can remove the appleID/adress (from iMessage). That way it will remain separate.

4. Markyboy81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go restoring from backup first of all!