Advice needed (have GSM iphone 7 - want to go VZW Unlimited)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac Tyson, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Mac Tyson macrumors member

Mac Tyson

This new Verizon Unlimited has me considering going back to Verizon from ATT. Currently on a MObile Share plan (25GB, 2 lines, rollover data). I'm not in a contract as of now with ATT.

When Iphone 7 released I bought the ATT Version since I didn't want to pay full price for the unlocked Sim free iphone 7 version. I'm paying about $34 per month on this iphone 7.

What does one recommend I do if I want to get on Verizon's Unlimited plan? Should I just trade in this phone and take the Verizon credit? how does that one work?

Anyone going through a similar situation? What is your course of action?

2. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I have the same issue I have a 7 plus on att installment , I want to buy out the phone and use it in Verizon but it sounds like it can't , so it may be cheaper to stay with att for now or jump TMobile.

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

You can trade in your phone to Verizon and they'll give you enough monthly credit to get a new iPhone for free. One downside to that, though, is you have to pay off your iPhone at AT&T in one big chunk. But then obviously you won't have a monthly "phone" bill after that with Verizon. You'll just have to pay for your plan.

The other downside is that you're effectively locked in a two year contract with Verizon to get that free phone, because they only give you credit for the phone as long as you're with them. Leave and your basically paying double for an iPhone.

4. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

https://www.google.com/amp/www.firs...verizon-unlimited-data-announcement/408507586

5. Mac Tyson thread starter macrumors member

Mac Tyson

My brother has TMobile. He has crappy to no-service when we go on vacation at Outer Banks. He also has spotty service around DC Metro area.

The tmo plans look good but their service is still meh.

I did find some info about users that went through the Apple Iphone UPgrade Program:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-upgrade-program-question.2032735/

It seems to me that you'll have to go to the Apple Store if you want to switch to a Verizon compatible iphone 7. However, you'll have to start a new contract, get your existing loan forgiven, and lose your upgrade eligibility a year from now instead of the time you did the upgrade (months lost). I upgraded back in September when the iphone 7 released. This means if I switch phones at the Apple Store, I won't be able to upgrade through the Apple IUP till this time next year.

6. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Your understanding is correct.