Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Ok,

I am at somewhat of a cross road. I am about to upgrade my PC desktop for my last year of private boarding high school. For college, which starts the fall of 2005, I am leaning towards a top of the line powermac with a PC laptop. But, now I have been given a good quote on an update for my current PC desktop with the following upgrades:

Asus P4P800-VM Motherboard
Intel 2.4 or 2.8 Ghz
512 MB or 1GB PC2700 RAM
ATX Mid tower case w/300W p4 powersupply
Linksys Wireless G adapter

Now, the question is do I put a LOT of money into this computer now and get a powerbook to go along with it in college (in fall of 2005, purchasing it spring 2005) -OR- do I put just the least amount of money and drop the Ghz to around 2.2 and purchase a top of the line powermac come spring of 2005.

I need an opinion please I am stuck!

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
If you're needing the mac right now, go with a powerbook they were just updated. However if you don't need it for another year I would wait until then. The models should be updated, prices may drop on current models, and you wont have to pay for the 10.4 upgrade that is imminent at the end of 2004.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
My Solution

Coming from a college freshman...
I'd wait to buy/upgrade both... Prices always go down and speeds always go up, and you'll thank yourself when you get to college. Trust me, I waited til the last possible minute, and it got me a G5 :confused:

Yours Truly,
Rocksaurus

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Well what I am doing is going to put the extra money into the PC i have right now.

It is gonna be a 2.8Ghz, 512 DDR 400 ram, 64MB PCI 9000 ATI (already had it), on a ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard with expandibility for a 3.4+ Ghz, so expandibility is not and issue. This is supposed to get me through the next 2 years of gaming. I am buying a mac next spring for college, and much to my dismay its looking like I will be getting a powerbook rather than a powermac...I really wanted the sheer power of the top of the line Powermac but I have just upgraded my computer that will last at least 2 years and I don't have a lot of money to throw around. An added benefit is that I can game on the PC for the 2nd year an have that Mac laptop, so i would have both of best worlds...

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
I'll give you a good deal on PC parts if you would like..I have a Ti4600 AGP 4x graphics card (best of its time), better than your 9000 PCI card by FAR. I have other random parts you may need as well...the graphics one just more important for gaming...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.