Advice needed - Which Monitor should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dschiller, May 23, 2007.

1. dschiller macrumors regular

Hi all:)

I'm in the market for a new LCD Monitor. I'm looking for something with between 22'' and 24''. I've been thinking about these:

- 22 inchers:

Dell Widescreen 22'' Monitor

Samsung 226BW Widescreen Monitor

- 24 inchers:

Dell 2407WFP Monitor

Samsung 245BW Monitor

I have a few questions:

1) Are the 2 extra inches really worth the (relatively big) price difference?
    2) Which of the two brands is better (I'm accepting sugestions for any other brand as well)?

I get the impression that on the 22'' front, the monitors are equivalent, but the Samsung deffinetelly looks better. On the 24'' front, on the other hand, the Dell seems to have a lot more features and the Samsung looks pretty dull. Am I right? BTW, I am open to sugestions of any other monitors you think are better then the above.

Thanks for any support!
    Daniel:apple:

2. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I can't really help as to the specific models you mentioned but I do recommend 24" over 22". When you're looking at it it will seem much bigger, I'm not sure of the actual dimensions though.

Unless you're going to be sitting very close, then I'd say the 22 since the 24 is too big.

4. theISHkid macrumors regular

I really don't care too much about features of my monitor so I would throw that out the door right away. The Dell monitors are pretty nice... I don't know about the Samsungs. I personally would not pay an extra 200 dollars for 2 extra inches... If you have that extra money sitting around I would save an extra week and get two 22" monitors. That's what we have and the set up is sweeeeet.

5. munckee macrumors 65816

I'll vote for the dell 24". The 22" is really a 20" that's been stretched (has the same resolution). I really appreciate the extra pixel space on my 23' compared to my old 20", but then I do a lot of design work.

6. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I absolutely agree with this. I have a 22", and while it is nice everything seems a bit too large, especially when compared to the pixel density of a macbook pro. I will probably switch over to a 24" in the future. Just make sure that you actually see a 22" in real life before buying it. Go to best buy or a store like that to get a good idea.

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Dell all the way. One thing to note: The 24" comes with a CRAPLOAD of inputs as well as several USB ports, (Firewire as well? not sure...), and a 9-in-1 media card reader. Very cool. :cool: I've heard a lot of people say they wished they went with the 24", and all those who have them seem to be happy so I'd say go with the Dell 24".

(I'm planning on buying a Dell 24" in the future btw.) ;)

Also: Those Samsungs look ugly.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The real difference between the 22" and the 24" is the resolution. The 22" is 1680x1050 and the 24" is 1920x1200. That's a big difference, that should be the focal point of your debate size wise.

I don't see anything about the warranty on the samsungs. The Dell monitors are available for purchase with a 3, 4, or 5 year warranty. Dell also has great customer service if you can get in touch with the right person.

9. seany916 macrumors 6502

dell 24" should be the best bang for the buck

be committed to it. if you really want 30", then get one. otherwise, be happy with the 24"

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you're looking for a 22", I would highly recommend this one. I bought one and have been very pleased with it, and at $200 it's a steal. For the price of a 24" you could buy almost 3 of these monitors.

11. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Also remember that most likely the DELL monitor is made by either LG or Samsung so the actual panel may be the same...

12. theISHkid macrumors regular

Those viewsonics are the same ones we have at work and they look beautiful... Unless you just can't afford it... I would buy two of those suckers... have a dual screen setup. It's perfect for all our design/video/animation.

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Frys just sold out of the 22", so this 20" is one step below it, but it's only $180 so it's still a good deal and you could set up two of them and have a dual screen setup, and it would still cost less than buying a 24" monitor.

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

So, how much does Frys and Viewsonic pay you to pitch their sales and monitors? :D

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I upgraded to a Dell 2407WFP from a Dell 2005WFP (same resolution as the new 22" Dell LCD) and it was quite an upgrade. It might have only been a few inches larger technically, but it appears much larger in person. The Dell 2407WFP is a great monitor, highly recommended! :)

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I haven't got the cheque yet, I'm waiting for it though! :p

17. theISHkid macrumors regular

That's just what happens when you get a great product at a great price... you want to tell everyone about it.