Advice needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dixie8123, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dixie8123 macrumors member

Okay, most of you know I want a iPhone. My parents are saying no to the iPhone as of now. I have thought about the alternatives. Android seems to me as a cheap offbrand of a iphone, so no, blackberry I have heard nothing but bad about so nope and no windows phone considering my opinion on Micro$oft. Basically, I am stuck between a Verizon iPhone 4 or 4s and need ways to talk my parents into allowing me to get one of these phones. Any help appreciated, but if you're going to be rude, dont say anything at all.

Thanks

----------

PS: Has to be out of contract, stuck for 1.5 more years, yay...:rolleyes:

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

What is the issue? Are they saying no to the actual iPhone due to you having to buy it retail? Why cant you buy it yourself instead of burdening your parents for $650?

If it is a data plan cost issue, offer to pay for the data yourself.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Are we to assume it has to involve your parent's money?

4. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

My plan is to ask for money for xmas and to put all of my money together and save up the rest if nessacary. Or, even buy a used iP4 if its good enough for my uses. Not sure though.

5. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Sell the iPad in your signature and buy an iPhone 4 for $250 on Craigslist. Problem solved.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Your 14.... How can you afford all that :confused: I guess that is none of my business...
    Why not you sell something you have if you really want an iPhone. You have plenty of apple goodies as it is!

7. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

Cant, use the iPad for school...

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

At age 14, I wouldn't buy a smartphone off contract for full price. Just not worth it. Save your money. Not trying to be rude, just my honest opinion.

9. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

If its a IPhone you want ,buy a older IPhone 3 off Craigslist for a $125 bucks. I bet your parents would be fine with that. You have way more expensive electronics than any 14 year old I know, sell the tv, watch with your parents, and buy yourself a 4 or 4s. Perfect... Right?

10. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Android seems to be a cheap offbrand of an iPhone? :confused:

Try a few Android phones without or wait until the Galaxy Nexus comes out and try that one. What is your opinion on Microsoft anyways? Windows Phone is a great alternative.

You are not stuck, you choose to be. Android, Windows Phone, and iOS are all great operating systems. You just gotta try them out.

Just don't be so close minded when you try them out.

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

LOL! My son's almost 17 and he won't even ask. I've got to talk him into a new phone, when he needs one.

Planning on an iPhone for him next year, I've already started working on convincing him.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It may be impossible to believe in this day and age, but sometimes 14 year olds just don't get to have $500 luxury items.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You forgot to use the #firstworldproblems tag ;):D

14. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

@_@ Use iPad for school as a 14 year old?!?!

-_- I just fainted LMAO.

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

0n behalf of those of us who are not rude, and enjoy a good conversation. I welcome you to MacRumors. :)

One way to obtain an iPhone would be to see if Apple has refurbished models for a lesser price than new. As a long time customer I can assure you Apple does a great job with refurbs. It's a good way to go. Also the Verizon iPhones you mention are good.

Cheers :)

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iphone 3 (and every iPhone before that) won't work on Verizon.

17. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

iPads are HUGE in schools. One of the biggest applications is electronic textbooks.

Jobs recognized this early on, there is an interesting passage in his bio where he thought the iPad had the potential to revolutionize textbook publishing. And it might just do that :)

18. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Don't know what U.S. prices are like but you can get some iPhone 4's for free on certain contracts here (UK).

Even if you had to put down $100 (i'm sure that's achievable) you could probably get a decent contract with that?

19. GregE macrumors 6502

If you can't do without any of your electronics, maybe you can sell some other toys you have. Do you really need the iPod Touch if you have a iPhone? That's one thing you might be able to sell.

I'm upgrading from a Palm Pre Plus to an iPhone and I'm selling my iPod Touch to my 10 yo daughter. She has been saving her money and having me sell other toys she doesn't want on Craigslist to earn enough. She currently has an iPod Nano that she bought from her older sister and we are buying that for my wife to use in her car.

BTW, my personal opinion is a 14 yo doesn't need an iPhone. I just got my 13 yo a phone for this school year and went for a non smartphone.

20. swedefish macrumors 6502

ORLY?

[​IMG]

21. swedefish macrumors 6502

22. bp1000 macrumors 65816

lol

your selling it to your own daughter.

Where is she getting the money from, you?

HEAD GOES BOOM

23. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Not when you are 14. At the college leve I can totally see the benefits but in high school you don't buy the textbooks unless it's a private school. The textbooks are loaned out.

If you can afford something, don't get it. Having your parents feed you the unnecessary stuff with their own money is even worse but I guess you are only 14 and don't fully understand that yet. Buy it yourself and you'll feel so much better.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I also thought that this was weird.