Advice on 18-80 3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss vs 24-70 2.8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lokipower, Jan 10, 2009.

1. lokipower macrumors member

Greetings everyone,
    I need some advice. I just purchased a 18-80mm 3.5-4.5 Carl Zeiss lens for my Sony Alpha.

Currently, I have the 70-200mm 2.8G (recently purchased for around $1500), and the 18-200mm 3.5-6.3 kit lens. My question is this...

Should I keep the Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* DT 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom Lens that I have for $600

Or wait and save up for the Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm f2.8 Zoom Lens???

I know the obvious answer is go for the 2.8, but there is roungly an $1100 difference. What I would like anyone to respond with is their opinion. What would you do?

I am NOT a professional. I am working hard to become a great photographer as a choice of hobby, I have no intention of turning it into a profession, (I have a hard enough job as it is). I have children, I spend my time with them and my wife, so the majority of my pictures are with them. I am a bit of a perfectionist, which means I have to have the best of everything, (which is why I bought the 70-200 2.8G), but I am starting to realize just how much I am putting into this "hobby" and just want some outside view points. I am aware of both lenses, I know which is better... I guess I am just trying to get an opinion or justification to simply keep what I have. I guess I would also like ot know how much better the CZ lens would be to the Kit 18-200, (I have not shot with it yet).

Just shoot your thoughts as to which you would do and perhaps why.

Thanks as always!!!!

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Buy it if you need it. Buy it if you can't get the background separation you want with your current lens. Buy it if you can't get the shutter speeds you need with your current lens. Don't just buy it because its "better." One of my favorite lenses in the world is a $35 Nikon Series-E lens, because sometimes I don't need autofocus, nano coating or ca reduction.