Advice on a monitor for a Mac Pro / new 4870 + 24" LED

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Xer0dIn, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Xer0dIn macrumors member

Hello all, I have a question regarding my early '08 mac pro (8 core x 2.8 Ghz + 8800 GT). I'm a programmer and do not do photo video editing. I use the horse power only for multi-threaded app development and testing purposes. I also play a fair bit of windows games. I have a 22" dell E228WFP and I'm looking to upgrade to a 24" display for gaming(don't need it for programming :)). I'm wondering if I should wait for Apple to upgrade the mac pros and buy whatever graphics card comes out and install in my mac and buy the 24" LED Cinema Display or get another brand monitor. The only problem is do you guys think that the LED display is good for gaming with a 16ms response time (seems high), and it seems that if I want to use that monitor down the road with any other computer I will not be able to because of the Display Port (unless that computer's graphics card has display port and if Apple actually releases a mac pro with display port). Should I just buy another brand 24" other than Apple? (what do you guys recommend other than Apple for gaming in windows) Should I wait and see what apple will do with graphics? I saw they've pulled the 20" cinema display. Just curious what other mac pro gamers are planning on doing/have for displays.

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

well, dell does make fine displays with good panels.. much cheaper than apple and compatible with anything dvi or vga
    just a thought - do you really want to be stuck with a mini display port?
    I'm kinda iffy about it myself

3. Xer0dIn thread starter macrumors member

I'm starting to feel the same way about display port. Iffy. I haven't seen any graphics cards with display port. Although I haven't been looking. I'm sure there are one or two cards out there with it but not many.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There are a few, and they may soon become the standard over DVI. Apple just had to go and fubar everything up by making a display with Mini Display port and not full-sized.

And yes, any monitor will do just fine.

5. cube macrumors G5

The 30" LG W3000H goes for $1099 at newegg. It says S-IPS.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

lol, just replied in the other monitor thread -

Still, on topic, for Windows gaming I use a Doublesight DS-263N. You can get one refurbished from Doublesight's website, it is 25.5"... But unfortunatly, it has a millisecond higher lag then my older Acer Al2216B. The only way I know is after looking for ten minutes at both monitors, and it may have even been in the Acer's favour, since the doublesight was upscaling. I still play MLG Halo 3 on it, and even though I am not the best player, I still love it. BTW, since it does not support 1:1 pixel mapping, 1920x1080 does not display on it for console gaming (so I upscale from 1680x1050). But PC gaming still works in 1900x1200. If you do not want to buy one refurb, there's the newer version with a glossy screen, the DS-265W, but I haven't personally tried it... The 263N is basically a carbon-copy of the Planar PX2611 (or vice-versa). Just look at the two on google search.. the only real difference is the label.

I personally have had no real expirience with the 265W (I think that is the acronym), but if you are looking for a huge monitor with no input lag and crushing colour, apparently the 90+lb. CRT Sony FW900 is just for you..... :D

7. Xer0dIn thread starter macrumors member

Well, I see Apple released a 4870. I would like to request that anyone that purchases a mac pro with the 24" LED Apple display and a 4870 let me know how performance is with FPS's in windows (like crysis). Specifically the high 14 ms response time for the display. I still have not bought a monitor for my early '08 mac pro and still iffy about display port technology compared with DVI.

8. Charlie.naylor macrumors newbie

Xer0dIn, I am in a similar position to you and am looking to buy a 24inch monitor to go with my new macpro, i have decided to buy a Samsung SM2443BW since its only £210, and is meant to be good for gaming and movies.

Though i am interested to see if anyone can provide better advice to you, so that i can also act on it :)

9. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Dell 2209WA, theres a thread about it, some have gotten it for 214 I believe, its 22" and in my opinion I love it , so much I have 2, and am getting 2 more .

If you can go and see the display 1st hand do it, if not take all the raves and reviews and work out a decision from there. Dell ships these from Tennessee .

BOL 2 U:apple: