Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Ok , as some of you may or may not know - i support most of the schools in Lincolnshire ,UK(PC's)

but one of my Schools has a load of Mac's and are converting to a Win 2003 network (don't ask me why)

as an example of what they have -

G5 Powermac dual 1.8 super - x 4
G5 iMac 20"
ACD 22" x 3
ACD 15" x 10
iBook G3 from 700mhz - 1GHz G4 x 30
Powerbook G4 1Ghz 15" x 2
Powerbook G4 1Ghz 17" x 2

and they also have like 30 eMac's G3/G4's 700 - 1Ghz

any how i'm looking for the best price for the school -

one company i got a qoute for quoted me £200 for the 15" PowerBook and £250 for the 17" i did not ask for a qoute on any more :eek:

so what would be the best thing for them ?

Advice please

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
Give em to me!!!

I'll give you 50 quid for the lot - will even drive up and pick them up for you to save the hassle of disposal :D

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Foggy said:
Give em to me!!!

I'll give you 50 quid for the lot - will even drive up and pick them up for you to save the hassle of disposal :D
You don't work for that company i just called do you :D

trust me if i had the cash i would buy em all myself and bang em on ebay :(

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
The G5s should get maybe around £600.

PowerBooks around £400 for the 15" to £600 for the 17".

ACDs maybe up to £75? Not many selling on eBay.

iMac around £550 or so.

iBook G3 probably no more than £200. G4 maybe £300 - not many fully working ones on eBay.

All the above depend on specs and condition, obviously.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Allotriophagy said:
The G5s should get maybe around £600.

PowerBooks around £400 for the 15" to £600 for the 17".

ACDs maybe up to £75? Not many selling on eBay.

iMac around £550 or so.

iBook G3 probably no more than £200. G4 maybe £300 - not many fully working ones on eBay.

All the above depend on specs and condition, obviously.

the more i think about it the more i want to take some of them off there hands and flogg it myself

;)

but i can't :(

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Why can't you? The fact that you cannot afford to or the possibility that you would find fleecing a school for your own financial gain somehow morally repugnant?

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
Can you ebay them on behalf of the school? You would need to charge something for the time and hassle but at least you know you would be getting as much as you could for them.

Cant blame em for offering £200 for the PB G4 - I'd love to only pay £200 for one :D

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I'd love that 20", but dont have the means nor cash to get one. *pats 17"* ole faithful :D

I agree with the post before... Sell on ebay on the schools behalf.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Allotriophagy said:
Why can't you? The fact that you cannot afford to or the possibility that you would find fleecing a school for your own financial gain somehow morally repugnant?
yep thats the one , i'd feel bad if i did :eek:

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
just had a chat with the school - talked them round saying ebay would be better for them to make the most money.

i will be advising them on the ebay sales:)

now has ebay got any discounts for schools i wonder :rolleyes:

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
liketom said:
just had a chat with the school - talked them round saying ebay would be better for them to make the most money.

i will be advising them on the ebay sales:)

now has ebay got any discounts for schools i wonder :rolleyes:

No idea, but let us know when the stuff goes for sale!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Just an idea, but if the school doesn't want the hassle of eBay maybe you should get a full quote from that company which would be maybe in the order of £5000 and then offer the school more than that from yourself. You could speak to your bank manager about getting a loan, get the machines, wipe them all, sell them on eBay and make an absolute killing in the space of a month. Schools and businesses often do this kind of thing, just get rid of the old equipment by chucking it or selling it to one company at a low price because of the hassles in dealing with things, tax reasons, etc etc.
If the school has already been given the funding for the new computers than more than likely it won't care what happens to the old ones. Schools and councils and such in the UK are quite odd, a neighbouring council of mine just built loads of roundabouts. Were they needed? No, the only reason they built them was so that their yearly budget got used up allowing them to get more the following year. That's where our taxes go!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.