Advice on an iPhone 2G 8GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kbfr08, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

So, I'm in the process of refurbing an iPhone 2G right now. I've got the original box, and all the accessories, but the touchscreen is broken. I got a fantastic deal on the whole thing, and an even better deal on the touchscreen assembly. I'm wondering if I should refurbish the entire thing, and not just the front. The replacement OEM back (new) & antenna cover are $25, is it worth it, or should I just leave the back as-is?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You didn't really mention in what condition the back is in, but regardless it's your choice. I mean $25 is nothing if you value having the original iphone in pristine condition, but if you're like me that doesn't care - then you just don't care.

So?

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Also, are you looking to sell it as a refurb? I guess I simply don't understand why you are asking us this question. If you are keeping it, do what you want. :)

4. The Afroman macrumors regular

The Afroman

the problem with refurbing an iphone 2g back is that on those.. the serial number was on the back metal part.. so replacing the phone back with another loses that. if you don;t mind then more power to ya!

5. kbfr08 thread starter macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Whoops! I guess that's kind of important to mention. I was asking if the resale value would go up if I replaced the back, or if it would just be more cost effective to keep the old back, since i will be reselling.

6. DJBBOX macrumors regular

DJBBOX

keep the old back. how much is your asking price? I'm interested

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If the back is trashed, the value will go up. Keep in mind a pristine phone is selling right around $100, maybe $125. I just sold ten units all of which were in various stages of needing refurbishment as a lot for $450. The amount of time and money I would have needed to invest to get them pristine looking wouldn't have made it cost effective to fix them all up.

8. kbfr08 thread starter macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Thanks for the advice. The back is in decent shape, but the apple logo is slightly pushed in, so I'm sort of on the fence. I was going to price it at $75, so doing the back is going to cost the same amount as the added value.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think you can find just the Apple logos as well. Not sure on price and how easy they are to come by though.