Advice on an iPhone 2G 8GB

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
So, I'm in the process of refurbing an iPhone 2G right now. I've got the original box, and all the accessories, but the touchscreen is broken. I got a fantastic deal on the whole thing, and an even better deal on the touchscreen assembly. I'm wondering if I should refurbish the entire thing, and not just the front. The replacement OEM back (new) & antenna cover are $25, is it worth it, or should I just leave the back as-is?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You didn't really mention in what condition the back is in, but regardless it's your choice. I mean $25 is nothing if you value having the original iphone in pristine condition, but if you're like me that doesn't care - then you just don't care.

So?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Also, are you looking to sell it as a refurb? I guess I simply don't understand why you are asking us this question. If you are keeping it, do what you want. :)

The Afroman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2009
Austin,Tx
the problem with refurbing an iphone 2g back is that on those.. the serial number was on the back metal part.. so replacing the phone back with another loses that. if you don;t mind then more power to ya!

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
Also, are you looking to sell it as a refurb? I guess I simply don't understand why you are asking us this question. If you are keeping it, do what you want. :)
Whoops! I guess that's kind of important to mention. I was asking if the resale value would go up if I replaced the back, or if it would just be more cost effective to keep the old back, since i will be reselling.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Whoops! I guess that's kind of important to mention. I was asking if the resale value would go up if I replaced the back, or if it would just be more cost effective to keep the old back, since i will be reselling.
If the back is trashed, the value will go up. Keep in mind a pristine phone is selling right around $100, maybe $125. I just sold ten units all of which were in various stages of needing refurbishment as a lot for $450. The amount of time and money I would have needed to invest to get them pristine looking wouldn't have made it cost effective to fix them all up.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
If the back is trashed, the value will go up. Keep in mind a pristine phone is selling right around $100, maybe $125. I just sold ten units all of which were in various stages of needing refurbishment as a lot for $450. The amount of time and money I would have needed to invest to get them pristine looking wouldn't have made it cost effective to fix them all up.
Thanks for the advice. The back is in decent shape, but the apple logo is slightly pushed in, so I'm sort of on the fence. I was going to price it at $75, so doing the back is going to cost the same amount as the added value.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks for the advice. The back is in decent shape, but the apple logo is slightly pushed in, so I'm sort of on the fence. I was going to price it at $75, so doing the back is going to cost the same amount as the added value.
I think you can find just the Apple logos as well. Not sure on price and how easy they are to come by though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.