Advice on buying a monitor for a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rakas Kulta, May 9, 2013.

1. Rakas Kulta macrumors newbie

I am planning to replace my old 24 inch iMac (early 2008).
    As 24 inch iMacs are not longer available and I don't want to buy the 27 inch model, I tend to switch to a Mac Mini i7 2,6 Ghz with a separate 24 inch monitor.
    Two monitors are on my shortlist: the Eizo SX2462W and the Eizo EV2436W. However, the SX is almost double the price of the EV (€ 879 vs. € 459 in The Netherlands).
    Do you think it is worth the extra money if I go for the SX2462W considering the quality of the built-in Intel HD Graphics 4000 or is this monitor 'over the top' for use with a Mac Mini.
    I use my Mac working as a graphic designer (book designer).

Please give me some advice on this. Suggestions about other monitors are welcome too.

Thanks!

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I use an older Mac Mini with an NEC PA series calibrated monitor and it works great with the Intel built in graphics for photo and graphic work. If colour calibration is important go for the Eizo that has the largest gamut and ability to calibrate properly. Eizo makes very nice monitors (though I prefer NEC).

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

The output of the Mac Mini is easily good enough to drive the monitors. You're paying extra to display it better. You should be able to notice the difference, and the SX is certainly a better monitor.

So yes, if you can afford it, go for the best quality monitor you can get.

4. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

5. Rakas Kulta thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi phrehdd, tillsbury and LaunchpadBS,
    Thank you for your advice.

Now that you confirmed that a Mac mini can handle the Eizo SX2462W, I've decided to go for this monitor.
    I also had a look at the NEC PA241W, phredd, a nice monitor indeed, but that was priced around 1000 euro in Holland. So a lot more than the Eizo. Remarkable, because BH Photo in the US is charging $1029 for the Eizo and $739 for the NEC.

Thanks again for your replies,
    Rakas Kulta