Advice on home monitor to go with MB: Dell or Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 53x12, Feb 16, 2009.

1. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

I am in the process of getting a new laptop and have decided on the MB. While I don't mind the small screen for use at the library/coffee shop or on the go, I need something a little bigger for home use.

I have narrowed it down to either the Dell 24in 2408WFP or the Apple 24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display. Both monitors have gotten great reviews and have similar screen quality. One thing I like about the Apple is the sleek look and its design to work specifically with the MB. However outside of being used with the MB, the Apple display doesn't have as much use compared to the Dell. The Dell supposedly has better ability to swivel and rotate the screen. So basically the Dell is more adjustable. Dell also has video connections galore, along with the ability to hook up to Blu-ray/DVD player. While it is nice to have the iSigh camera in the monitor, the MB will already have one so I'm not sure what the added benefit will be in having it in the monitor.

Any thoughts from you guys on what direction might be better? The screen will just be for every day use; internet, iWork/Office, email, some goofing around with video editing, watching movies...etc.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Wow... tough decision. Those are 2 of the most outstanding monitors in their class. I would love to have either one. I wouldn't be able to decide either but I can offer this. The reason for the iSight camera in the Apple display is for those times that you operate in clamshell mode (lid closed) you would still have the ability to use a camera.

Idea..... get both and send me the one that you decide against. ;)

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Go with the dell without of a doubt. Its a lot cheaper, there monitor warranty is one of a kind (zero dead pixels), a ton of inputs, and a matte screen. It also does not suffer from stuck pixels because S-PVA screens dead pixels are always black. I own a 2408wfp and have personally seen the LED Cinema display and prefered the 2408wfp. Both are very nice but the Dell is a much better value.

4. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

Any other opinions or is the Dell the best option?

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

How sensitive are you to noise? I love my Dell 2407 and it's the best monitor I've ever had but there is a tiny amount of whine from the monitor when it's not at 100% brightness. You really don't notice it unless your room and your computer are dead silent, but the small noise is there. You can get rid of it by running your monitor at 100% brightness but I usually need to run at 30-50% or else it's just searing on the eyes.

The Apple LED screen has the benefit of making no whine at any brightness due to the difference in how LED technology works versus the older CCFL technology in the Dell 2407 and 2408.

6. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Dell. The connectivity options are worth it. I have my unibody hooked up via VGA and my PS3 hooked up via HDMI>DVI to a 20" Ultrasharp.

7. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

I have had a chance to check out both the Dell and the Apple in person, however it was at different stores, with different setups, separated by a few days. As a result it is hard to do a fair comparison on my part except I was really impressed by both of them.

Are there any other options that would be comparable to these two, or is that about it? It seems like most of you are saying the Dell is the better route do to the bang for the buck and the increased connectivity options.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

the dell looks really good, and with all the connectivity its definitely worth it. The possibilities are endless for hooking up other components. I do say though, that i prefer the apple monitor simply because i love the glossy look. It gives the images and whatnot a crisper contrast and i personally love the picture. But The dell is much cheaper and can be hooked up to almost anything. Im reluctant to say it, but go with the dell. also +1 on the dells warranty, It comes with 3yrs and its awesome.

9. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

After looking at both of these, I hate to say it, but Dell is probably your best option...

I mean, the Apple LED Cinema Display is gorgeous, definitely a piece of work, but extremely limited. It's also $300 dollars more at the moment.

The Dell, like everyone said, has every port imaginable. The options are so vast, and their quality is phenomenal as well. Their warranties are also stronger. Its available for, I believe, $599.

I think Dell has one of the best 'bang for your buck' monitors. Unless you honestly need to stunt the apple logo (or need the isight and speakers built-in), the 2408WFP is a great choice.

Hope that you can make the excruciating choice; would love to know which you end up going with! :D

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

btw the lack of speakers on the dell can easily be putto rest by adding one of there sound bars for about 30 bucks. I dont know how the sound compares to the cinema display, but id imagine its probably better since its actually a good size external speaker, and not something made to fit inside a monitor casing.

11. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

Dell 2408WFP last year model?

Staples has the on clearence to for $349 to make room for this year model.

What is this year model? Are there any changes? is $349 a good deal for this "last year moderl" monitor?

Thanks for help

12. sir Mudkip macrumors member

sir Mudkip

The dell will be a better performing monitor but the Apple LCD will have a classier look :)

Go with either!

13. hmai18 macrumors 6502

If colour accuracy is important to you, I'd also be looking at the IPS-panel HP LP2475W

14. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Go with the Dell.

Apple's 24" display is way too limited for being a computer monitor. Hell it only works with 3 computers, that's it.

Apple's whole Mini DisplayPort decision aggravates me.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Won't the LED backlighting on the Apple last longer? It's my understanding that the TFT's on LCD's eventually dim and fade like the picture on an old tube TV...

16. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

With the max brightness on the backlight on the Dell, theres nothing to worry about. Most run it at under 50% anyway.