Advice on how to text my friend in Europe for free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theraker007, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

I was wondering if there was any good way to do this with an app or internet browser trick. I have an iphone and she has a samsung diva and lives in Switzerland. We have been having trouble keeping in touch because neither of us are around our computers at the same time.

Anyone have any suggestions? Skype doesn't seem to want to stay backgrounded ever on my phone

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what OS the Samsung has, but you can try programs like What's App or Kik.

I've used What's App with people on iPhones and Blackberries.

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This wold be my suggestion as well.

5. gnychis macrumors 6502

does she have a smartphone? A very popular app is WhatsApp which is available on just about any platform... free texting

6. jasonmac31 macrumors newbie

I use Kik. It's totally free and works on iphone, blackberry, and android phones.

7. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

8. citizenal macrumors regular

This would work, unless his friend doesn't have a smartphone. Then he's back to the texting if he wants to reach his friend when he's not around a computer.

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Not entirely... he can add his friend as an aim buddy with country code and full number and send a text message from HIS AIM... wait, does that work out of country?

10. citizenal macrumors regular

I tried doing that exact thing to someone in china and it didn't work. Coincidentally, I used skype and that did work. Maybe using skype is the way to go, though it's not free. :whoknows:

11. Maskusee, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Been using WhatsApp, and i think its brilliant.
    No need to create a separate log in name and/or pin.
    App uses your mobile phone number to login.

Only one caveat, your contact that you want to text with, needs to have this app installed on their iPhone/RIM/Android as well.

12. pbateman macrumors 6502

I have family living in Switzerland, we use Ping Chat instead of text messages. Like most said WhatsApp or Kick should work as well....

13. ssajous macrumors member

Textfree... if they have a US itunes account

I have a US iTunes account and now live in France for work for a couple of years. I was able to download textfree when I used to go back and forth to communicate with people back in the US when I was here. Now it is really handy because people can reach me by SMS for free when ever. But as I said, only US itunes people can download it.

14. ultima macrumors member

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

It could be, depending on what phone they have and also who is their provider. Some phones can't do email. And some providers will charge for accessing or sending emails from your phone.
    A lot of variables.
    So there isn't just one way to fix them all. Everyone has a different situation.