Advice on Monitor For MBP (and probably ps3 or ps2)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RavenWinds, Aug 30, 2009.

1. RavenWinds macrumors member

Hi all

I am looking at purchasing a monitor for going back to university and i wanted to ask other Mac users about compatibility

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0961352/Trail/searchtext>HDMI.htm

I am going to be using the monitor with a Late 2008 MBP and i have already got a mini displayport to hdmi adapter. i have checked and the monitor is HDCP compatible so i should be able to use the ps3 on it as well.

while the monitor still has built in speakers is the mac still not sending audio down hdmi or has that changed?

any help would be great

2. RavenWinds thread starter macrumors member

one more question

if the audio is still not being sent down hdmi if i plugged in speakers into the MBP and the lid of the MBP was closed would the speakers work without waking the MBP?

any help would be appreciated

3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I have to recommend dynex 19 inch lcd tv. I use it with my xbox 360 no lag handles 1080P great and hooks up to my computer no issues last time I checked $159!

4. RavenWinds thread starter macrumors member

Hi airforcekid and thanks for the reply

I am living in Northern Ireland and so shipping might be an issue with that TV.

do you or anyone else know of compatibility issues that would prevent me from being able to use the acer monitor. as for my requirements it looks spot on.

once again thanks for the response

5. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

LED backlight!

It might seem like overkill but PS3 and MBP play nicely thru' my Samsung LED backlit 40" 1080P TV, I went for the 'older model' LE40a796 (le40a786 or a756 in UK/Eire probably) The new Samsung LEDs are a bit thinner, and I think there is a 32" or smaller in the range?. I previously used an LG 32" 720p TV that I got free with supermarket shopping points - This also worked great with Macs and PS2, but the LED backlights are the way to go! funds allowing!!

AVforums.co.uk have many+many+many pages of monitor discussions,
    A place I bought from monitors from in UK was pixmania.com, delivered from France within 22hours of clicking, also DABS.com used to have pixel specified monitors, i.e I bought a Sony 21inch monitor with one dead pixel for an incredible price, obviously a customer reject. Finally DELL has quite a good range of value monitors , something like 2208WFP is in wide use in my company, (no HDMI - just DVI) have fun!

6. RavenWinds thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply cyclotron.

i already have a 40" sony bravia at home and it works well using the mini displayport to hdmi.

however when i move into my university flat it is not the sort of thing that i need as it would be too big (and attract too much attention)

im set on the monitor. i just want to know if it will be fully compatible with my Late 2008 Macbook Pro (using a mini displayport to HDMI) the ps3 was more of an after thought.

i also need to know if the macs now transmit audio down the Mini displayport. if they don't can i use speakers plugged into the macbook pro while it is closed (the lid is down)

Please help

7. mac44 macrumors member

Mbp

The HP 2009 is a good choice. It is one of the cheapest, high quality monitors available. As low as $139 in US and 100 Euros in Europe. Highly recommended!

8. RavenWinds thread starter macrumors member

i appreciate all of your comments but you are not understanding my problem.

i am not looking for monitor recommendations in regards to a good deal

i just want to know if there are any compatibility issues that i should be made aware of.

if there are any please tell me