Advice on on selling my i5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ICON5o2, May 11, 2013.

1. ICON5o2 macrumors regular

ICON5o2

I'm one year into my contract. Any advice on selling my iPhone 5 so I can upgrade to the next iPhone? I can get $330 dollars from Gazzelle. Any other suggestions?

2. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I'd avoid them. I'd give you $350 myself. Find a forum to sell on. You'll get much more.

3. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

On eBay you will get >500 if its in good condition and clean esn/imei

4. ICON5o2 thread starter macrumors regular

ICON5o2

Thanks for the replies!! It does have a few dings cause I carry it around naked except for a SGP crystal screen protector. I'll upload some pics of the condition of the phone when I get the chance.

Gazzelle just seems so convenient.

5. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Gazzelle is not worth it they just make money off of you, put it on auction on eBay and you should get 450-500, a lot of buyers don't care about dings cause they receive the phone and get it replaced at apple store

6. washburn macrumors 6502

You can't just do that, you only get replacement if something is severely faulty.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree with the suggestion to use eBay. You'll get around $500 (unless it's the Sprint model, then you'll get closer to $425).

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

eBay is going to take upwards of 12% of your cut. On top of that, you pay shipping, and if you're smart, insurance, which will be another $20 or so. If you're lucky to sell the phone at $500, you might be left with $400 when all is said and done. Then, unless you sell often, you don't have access to those funds until the buyer leaves positive feedback or a few weeks pass (whichever comes first). Finally, you run the risk of the guy claiming you sent him an empty box. Not as big a problem if you are a frequent seller, but if you only sell once in a while, eBay will almost certainly side with the buyer.

Despite what people are saying, a safe $350 isn't horrible. There are also places in malls that will buy used phones. There is also Craigslist. Unfortunately I don't feel eBay is worth the risk anymore. It used to be great. Now there are too many scam runners and ebay keeps on taking a bigger and bigger cut of your sales.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The iPhone 5 was only unveiled 7 months ago, are you ending the contract early or just replacing the phone early?

10. jayrflow macrumors 6502

Insurance isn't $20. I ship with USPS priority on eBay all the time. Selling an iphone for $500 will cost you about $6-8 for insurance and no more than $10 to ship. Add $10 or $15 to the listing for shipping n that should cover the shipping. Or just pay the shipping yourself to attract more customers. I sell on ebay all the time n never had an issue. Of course my experience differs from others. I never had someone claim I sent them an empty box. The eBay fees tho, that can be the issue. I don't know what the percentage that eBay takes but it can be expensive.

I also do Craigslist but I make sure I go with a buddy to make sure nothing happens and I also bring a counterfeit marker with me to check the money to make sure I don't get any fakes. If you got a friend that can tag along with you, I'd do Craigslist if I was you. Also buy a counterfeit marker from Staples to make sure the bills are real n post that you will be bringing the marker in your ad so the buyer doesn't feel some type of way.

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Get a cheap case so no more damage happens to it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

12. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Sell on a forum or on Craigslist. Gazelle will horribly lowball you. Ive bought and sold tons of phones on forums and had zero issues and always got just about the asking price.

13. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

sold my 16gb wifi att black iphone5 this past saturday on craigslist. listed for $475 and got 4 people wanting to buy...posted friday night and sold on saturday...

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

15. maxosx macrumors 68020

Usually I give mine to a family member or friend that would appreciate it.

That said, if no one needs a phone, I use Gazelle and highly endorse them.

They have paid me exactly what they quoted, except for twice when I rated the phone as average and they gave me the "like new" price... because that is indeed how I keep my phones. I rated those two as average only because they each had just one, very tiny smudge near the edge of the housing.

Oh sure I could get a bit more selling it myself, but my time is far too important to me than to mess with strange buyers one on one. The transaction could go smoothly, or like some of my friends have experienced, their are those buyers who change their mind, or play games with the payment, or other annoyances, which burn up ones time.

Gazelle gets the check to me in record time, a very satisfying experience, and well worth it. :)

16. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

I always sell my iPhones on craigslist.. usually gone within a day or two, so simple. Just put up a nice ad up, 3-4 pictures, and meetup at a local Starbucks. You'll make more money than Gazelle too!

17. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

This is the schedule you need to follow...

Year 1 - Sign up for your 2yr contract at $199

Year 2 - Sell your iphone for $400-$500 and buy the new one for $600. You are almost guaranteed to be able to sell your old phone for at least $400. I have done this every year since they have been released and on top of that sold an additional 15 or so iphones in that price range. The first couple years I sold them a few days before the new one was announced, but after that I realized it does not matter. There are so many people out there looking for them that the resale value is not so much as it used to be.

Year 3 - Sign up for your 2yr again..Buy new iphone for $199, Sell your old one for $400-$500...Once you go through this 3yr cycle you will break even or actually have made a couple hundred dollars which will result in you having paid nothing for 3 new iphones :)

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The $20 I stated was including shipping and all. I was just throwing up rough estimates, bud. My point, from the beginning, was that people saying "you can get $450 on eBay" aren't seeing the whole picture. You actually see a whole lot less than that through eBay, and on top of that you deal with the multitude of other risks.

The fact that YOU haven't been scammed on eBay is wonderful. Scams tend to revolve around the "once in a long while" sellers with a small handful of feedbacks. But... In repeating myself and this is pointless. Good on you that you've had zero issues. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen... More frequently than it should.

19. 617aircav Suspended

Gazelle is good if you are not comfortable with eBay or craigslist. I advertise that I buy phones on CL by linking to the gazelle website. I offer sellers $10 _ $20 over gazelle prices and I'm getting offers every day. I then sell them on eBay for an average profit of $120

20. ICON5o2 thread starter macrumors regular

ICON5o2

Well I went ahead and purchased a Lifeproof case. I recently checked Gazelle and the price has dropped from $330 to $310 dollars. eBay kinda scares me. I might just end up keeping this phone and saving up for the next one. I guess at this it all depends on what the next iPhone will have.

21. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

go on craiglist.... the minimum I bought my i5 there was 400 dollars 2 weeks ago.... I think if you start with 500 you will get that amount... be sure to meet in a public place and carry a friend and you are ok. Watch all around before and after the transaction in order to not be followed.
    Easy and safe money without ebay commissions and paypal and so on.