Advice on restoring phone as 'new'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greatorex, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Greatorex macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having the battery issues like a lot of people seem to be and after trying everything but the nuclear option nothin has helped.

So.... I'd like to restore my iPhone 5 and set it up as new rather than from the back up like I initially did.
    I'd just like a few tips to make sure I do it correctly first time.

What will I lose?
    Is there a step by step someone could please give me or link to?
    Is it a worthwhile procedure or should I just suck it up and wait for IOS 6.1?
    When I want to put my apps back on do I have to do that manually one by one from the App Store?

Thanks, hope someone can help out.

2. jamst149 macrumors member

I did this yesterday. Kind of a pain in the ass. You will have to reconfigure the phone pretty much completely. Any settings you have (mail, calendar, etc) will be lost. How you get that information back will depend on how you sync your contacts/mail/etc. Once you go through the initial setup you will sync the phone which will transfer over the apps u already have in iTunes. You will the. Have to rearrange them all and re-enter login info etc.

It's a pain in the ass but in my case (poor battery life) I felt it was worth it in an effort to troubleshoot my issue.

3. Greatorex thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great, thank you.
    With the calander (something I use a lot and has a lot of infomation on) is it possible to sync with the info I have on my iPad calender or will any sync other than the apps defeat the point of a clean restore?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit stupid, I'm a bit of a novice with this stuff.