Advice on unlocked iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silverdream, Nov 17, 2011.

1. silverdream macrumors newbie

About 15 days ago I purchased a 4S from a apple retail store paying full price. I cut my tmobile sim and inserted into the phone and it recognized the network without having to do any sync with PC or getting the unlocked message.

So does this mean my phone is unlocked? Can I use it on any Carrier of my choice when I travel abroad?

To be sure that I have an unlocked phone should I return my existing device and get an "officially" unlocked one from Apple? Or continue with existing phone

I still see posts which say how to use the 4S on tmobile listing 10 or more steps to follow to make this work. Isn't it obvious and straightforward? :confused:

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

You have an unlocked device. If it will make you feel any better, do a restore on iTunes and you will get a "Congratulations! ..." message.

And the threads listing 10+ steps is for an untested and unofficial unlock. Officially unlocked phones from Apple will recognize a GSM sim right away.

3. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

It has been discussed at great lengths that some "Off-Contract" AT&T phones purchased through Apple are actually unlocked.

The other process you are referring to is completely separate, for a completely different scenario.

4. silverdream thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok!

I was wondering if there is something I am missing here. So if it works on tmob it should work on other international carriers.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Can sleep peacefully :D

5. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

Will work with any GSM carrier anywhere.

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Why do people make these type of threads every time there is a new OS?

7. SenseiPhone macrumors regular