Advice on updating HDD to SSD for MBP 15" Mid 2010.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jenko, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Jenko macrumors regular

I am looking to update my hard drive to an SSD. I have an Apple Mac Book Pro mid 2010 laptop with Intel core i7 processor. Can you advise me on what make and model to buy. My current hard drive is 500gb and my Ram is 8gb. I would need to buy either 500gb or 1TB SSD. Any advice on what size or product would be best to buy. I live in Ireland and can also purchase from the UK. Many Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well I personally like the crucial range, the 2010 tops out at sata 2 so the most expensive modern SSD's using Sata 3 will be wasted as your limit read/write speeds will be 300Mb/sec I would reccomend the BX100 series for this reason.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=BX100

Many others will recommend these and the samsung evo series, OWC also do good drives but they are expensive outside the US.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Crucial MX200 and Samsung EVO 850 are about the best bang for the buck right now and will work fine in your machine. You should be able to find both on Amazon UK.

4. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

If I were to look at the samsung SSD EVO 850 is the Pro version any better?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes it is rated to last longer, but you won't get the benefits of extra speed etc as I noted in my first post, also that computer is already pushing 6 years old why spend money on something that will last 3-5 times as long as the computer it's going in.

6. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

I replaced the Seagate 7200rpm hybrid drive in my Mid-2010 15" MBP with a Samsung 850 Evo HDD last winter. The difference in speed was rather significant. It turned a pretty laggy, disappointing machine into a nice and capable computer.

Definitely worth the money if you don't plan on buying a new MBP anytime soon. I say that because the 2.5" SSD drives won't fit in Mac laptops anymore now that they went to M.2 form factor drive storage.

7. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not planning on replacing the laptop for a few years can't afford a new one hence the SSD upgrade and I have gotten used to the reliabity of my laptop. Do you recommend 500gb or 1TB to keep it going for another 2-3 years?

8. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

So what would be the exact Specs I would need in a new SSD and do I need to think about TRIM issues. ALSO any good video or web tutorials on steps replacing it myself and what would I need to do about Backing everything up or cloning before removing the old HDD. I have replaced and fixed home button and broken glass in my iPhone by myself so I'm hoping I can install a new SSD easy enough.

9. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

That would be entirely dependent on how much space you're currently using, and how much more you think you'll need by the time you go buy a new laptop. Everyone has their own storage capacity needs.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There are endless tutorials for exchanging the HDD for an SSD on you tube and accrioss the internet, there is no point in any of us writing it all out on this forum when you can follow any one of these guides. I would say start with ifixit as the go to for performing mac upgrades, they will tell you everything you need to know.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Depends on what you're using now and plan to do in the future. My 500gb Samsung is running out of space and I may upgrade to a 1tb due to doing more video editing. I like to keep the drive less than ¾ full as a goal.