Advice on what to do with Mac after someone spilled water on keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tootsie2016, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Tootsie2016 macrumors newbie

I was sitting inside Starbucks today studying and a girl sat down next to me and accidentally knocked over her bottle of water while taking off her jacket. The water spilled on my keyboard. I cleaned it up and didn't think much of it because it was only a little bit of water however, I noticed that my 'D' key stopped working about 10 minutes later. I blew on my keyboard and noticed it was wet in between the keys so I turned my computer off and turned it upside down to try and get the water out. I left it alone for a couple of hours and I just tried to turn it back on. It turned on but it went straight to a "hardware check screen". I allowed it to check my software and it said it was okay. But now, every time I turn it on, it goes to this hardware check screen which I found out can be accessed by pushed the "D" key while your computer is starting up. So maybe now, the 'D' key is sticking and making my computer go to the hardware screen when restarting? Idk what to do and my finals are next week and all of my work is on my computer. I am so stressed and freaking out right now. Any advice?

2. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

well first point of call personally would be to shutdown the machine right now and go get something to transfer your work over to as soon and as quickly as possible (usb stick, external HDD)

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

First thing to do is stick it in a bag of rice and leave it for a couple of days. Then after that couple of days in the rice try turning it back on and see where that goes. But it may be to late already. If it continues to go to the hardware check screen, then it will be time to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store and let them have a look at it. The water may have shorted out the D key or worse and you continuing to turn it on is not helping it while it is possibly still wet.

Do you have a backup of your HDD that you maybe can use on another machine for the time being?

Hopefully others can offer you additional advice on top of mine.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

No reply from the OP here, but saw this tip and had to chime in, respectfully.

Don't ever use "rice" as a desiccant (hygroscopic substance). Some rice comes from Asia - and untreated fecal matter is often used as a fertilizer in that part of the world (I now only buy rice cultivated and grown in California). More importantly, packaged rice contains fine dust particles and also static electricity - both of which will wreak havoc with any electronic device.

FWIW, the husk is the most hydrophilic substance (part) of the rice kernel - which generates the most "dust" as well but it's not on "white" rice...

I keep several sealed silica gel packets around my home office, and also use a dehumidifier as we're near a body of water. The gel packets were bought from a Michael's craft store - cheap insurance IMO.

5. Pudlo macrumors member

on yt you can find a video showing how to take of the key from apples keyboard.
    maybe that will help

6. daisysam3003 macrumors newbie

Expensive spillage!!!

I spilled water on my macbook pro and made the fatal mistake of not turning it off straight away (although not sure how I would have as it was off when the water spilled, then I turned it on). I tried rice, silicone bags, airing cupboard and even the oven with just the fan on. I actually think rice is a terrible ideas as there is lots of small particles and dust that can get into your small spaces at the side and in the gaps of the trackpad. Ended up being quoted £900 from apple store to fix it, and paid £800 through an independent repair centre.

If you do spill water, don't turn it on, or turn it off straight away. The damage is done when the machine is on and water is inside - if it's off it can easily dry out.

And make sure your house insurance covers laptops (mine didn't) and accidental damage, with a small excess - then at least you can get it paid for. And back up!