Advice on what to purchase with 20% Discount, what should I do!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HockeyGuy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. HockeyGuy macrumors member

Hey guys,

Ok so my 3 year old Macbook Pro has been sent in for repair for over 2.5 weeks now.. I was pretty upset that it was taking so long and convinced the manager to give me a discount, which turns out to be 20% on my choice of a new computer.

I am trying to decide between an iMac, an Aluminum Macbook, or a new Macbook Pro. I guess I am leaning toward an iMac for a couple of reasons.. 1, you get the most for your money with the 320 GB hard drive, 20 inch screen, etc. Secondly, it is the cheapest of the 3 that I am choosing between.

I guess the Aluminum Macbook and Macbook Pro are appealing because they have that "wow factor"... if you have played with one or own one than you probably understand. The only thing is though, once my 15 inch MBPro FINALLY gets sent back, than I will have 2 laptops and might have been better off with the iMac.

I may have answered my own question... just interested in everyone's opinion. Thanks.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If you're still getting your Macbook back, then I'd go with the iMac. You get the best of both worlds.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I get the UMBP and sell you MBP when it is returned.

4. HockeyGuy thread starter macrumors member

Ya I like that idea too that is what I am leading towards... my current MBPro is 3 years old but it still works..

I was thinking that too.. but here is the thing, I can get the unibody MBPro for $1,600.. but I will only get around $700 for my current MBPro on eBay, so I will still be paying $900 and will only have the new mbPro...whereas if I get the iMac and keep my mbpro I will have the best of both worlds as Belvdr said above yet still only pay $960 for the new iMac...

Here is what 20% off would get you:

$960= iMac
    $1040= Macbook
    $1600= Macbook Pro

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well since your laptop is already 3 years old I would think about what you want more a stationary, less powerful computer or a mobile, slightly more powerful computer.
    at 3 years old it only has 1~2 or good computing left.

6. HockeyGuy thread starter macrumors member

How is the Macbook Pro more powerful than the iMac other than the fact that the MBPro is much more portable?

The iMac comes with the same amount of RAM, a bigger harddrive, bigger screen size, and faster processor at 2.66 GHz compared to the MBPro at only 2.4 GHz. Plus the iMac is cheaper even though it has better specs.

Please explain! And by the way thanks for responding I appreciate it.

7. mwolenski macrumors newbie

8 Core Mac Pro

If you're offered a flat 20% off any machine get the most expensive one you can. If you buy a $3,300 Mac Pro you save $660 vs. only saving $240 on the iMac. I would imagine you could sell the Mac Pro on ebay for say $100-$200 off retail. You could then apply to $460 profit to a new iMac and get an almost %40 discount. Or spend the profit on something else as you now have cash and don't have to spend it at Apple.

P.S. I realize this does require you to tie up some cash while you wait for the Mac Pro to sell but if you have it this would be your best bet.

8. HockeyGuy thread starter macrumors member

Update

Hey guys, thought I would update you on what I decided to do... wait for it.......... I went with the Unibody Macbook 2.0 GHz and the 24 inch LED Cinema Display.

Can't tell you have happy I am with the decision!!! The 24 inch LED is simply incredible!! I have it plugged in right now and I am so impressed with the quality. Not to mention the macbook is amazing as well. I am going back tomorrow to have Apple upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 4GB to complete my powerhouse of a laptop!

Let me know if any of you have any question. Thanks for the replies also.

9. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

apple so over charges for ram go to crucial and get ram.

1. it will be cheaper
    2. you don't have to pay a service fee to install it cause you did it.

i'm not trying to be a a crucial fanboy but ram is easy to install just buy iy yourself it will be cheaper

10. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just wondering...What did you do with your old MacBook Pro? It seems kind of unnecessary to have 2 notebooks. I'd try probably just sell it.

11. HockeyGuy thread starter macrumors member

I looked into buying from NewEgg like I have on my old MBPro (although best buy ended up installing it for me because I stripped the screws when trying to do it myself), however after doing some research I learned that it is even more difficult to install RAM for the new Unibody MBPro. The install and RAM will cost be $100 total for the 4GBs... thats not too bad knowing that it will be installed the right way with an Apple tech.

Here is the video I just watched of how to install it on a unibody mbpro.. it looks somewhat difficult for a newb..

http://video.gearlive.com/video/article/q408-unibody-macbook-pro-ram-upgrade-tutorial/

I am just going to sell the old MBpro. On eBay it looks like I can get close to what I paid for for the 24 inch LED that I bought today.

I also found out today that the AppleCare that I bought today for the Macbook also covers the 24 inch Cinema display since I purchased them both on the same receipt... not bad... i <3 :apple:

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The unibody MacBook Pro actually makes it super simple to upgrade the RAM. I did it myself easily and I've never gotten into a computer before. Just pop open the 8 screws, remove the cover, remove the old RAM, insert the new RAM, re-insert the cover, and attach the 8 screws and boom, you're good to go.

13. HockeyGuy thread starter macrumors member

Haha yes I mean that does sound easy. Did you see the video that I posted in my last post above? It shows step by step instructions. I am just a little uneasy about doing it myself. I would hate to screw up and actually damage the computer or end up "stripping" the screws like the guy in the video explains, it is very easy to do (also like I said above, I stripped the screws the last time I tried to upgrade the RAM myself too and ended up paying Best Buy to do it for me..)

The good thing about having Apple do it for me is the fact that I know it will done the right way, and more importantly it will be covered under my AppleCare if something were to happen.

I mean I know doing it myself would be cheaper, but I would almost rather pay a little more to play it safe.

14. chris7777 macrumors 6502

So 1 applecare on the macbook will cover both it and the cinema display you bought?

That might entice me to step back from my intentions of getting a mbpro and go your route.

15. HockeyGuy thread starter macrumors member

Yes! The thing is, the macbook and the external display "must" be purchased on the same receipt along with the AppleCare. I was extremely happy to find out about this. It is an incredible deal. Glad I was able to share that with you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I am completely impressed with the Macbook + 24" LED display combo. It will NOT let you down.