Advice on where to buy reasonably priced second-hand Macs in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solar.fields, Apr 4, 2010.

1. solar.fields macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

My Windows PC started having a hardware problem a couple of days ago and isn't working 100% :mad: therefore I've decided that I'd like to buy a Mac. Unfortunately it has to be a second-hand Mac as I can't afford a new one.

I've had a look around on eBay and found a couple of websites which sell second-hand Macs but are there any other places where I can look? (e.g. forums, stores etc.) The Macs need to be reasonably priced and a decent enough spec for web browsing, audio and video playback including HD content online and storing a music/photo/video library. I understand that there is a premium on Apple products but I'm sure there must be some second-hand models which are pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers peeps can give me ;)

2. Hobbit macrumors member

If you are a student or work in an educational establishment you can get a good education discount from the apple online store.

You can also check out the refurbished macs on the apple online store.

Good luck.

3. solar.fields thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your pointers Hobbit :) my budget is pretty low so I don't know if I'd even be able to stretch to a refurbed Mac from the online store as they aren't much cheaper than the new ones! :rolleyes:

More advice welcome!

4. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

The refurb part of the Apple store is your best bet. Things can be up to a third cheaper there compared to retail, but it's still quite a lot of money above and beyond a Windows machine.

I'd point out a few things:

1. I doubt any of the PowerPC computers will handle high-def video, expect maybe the later G5s found in the PowerBooks (i.e the ones just before the Intel switch). My G4 iBook definitely couldn't do video, and struggled even with YouTube.

2. Apple products don't age well in my experience, and I reckon second-hand computers will have lots of irritating faults.

Put simply, to avoid disappointment, I'd either buy refurb, or not at all :(

5. solar.fields thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input r-sparks :) I've just had a look on the Refurbished Mac page on the Apple Store and the cheapest model was a Refurbished MacBook Air 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo at a cool £899.00! That is well above my budget and I can only dream of being able to buy something that expensive :( I'm starting to see that it's not going to be easy finding a bargain!

6. Coldmode macrumors regular

Apple never put G5 processors in laptops, they went straight from the G4 to Intel.

Apple products also hold their value very well. Your best bet might be an older MacBook, but even ones that are two to three years old will still run you about $500. Other than that, some of the 2006 model PowerBook G4s might work. One of my professors just upgraded from his over Christmas and he did all the things you described just fine. Any MacBook pro that still works is going to cost more than $1000.

7. Chuushajou macrumors regular

I personally recommend clearance sales. Seriously I was looking at getting a second hand MacBook and for £600 I picked up this one(in my sig) brand new :) and I can't be anymore happier!

Edit: I bought this two weeks ago ;)

Good Luck!

8. Arrandale macrumors regular

The definition of 'reasonably priced' is subjective.

That said, John Lewis generally sells brand new macs for a couple hundred quid less than the Apple store.