Advice - ordered 1 iPhone 5 received 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kring, Sep 23, 2012.

1. kring macrumors regular

kring

Ok, so I'm on AT&T and I ordered an iPhone 5, and two arrived separately, both in my name under my account. I was charged the $299 for both so it's not like I got it for free, just given the discount price. I have no sympathy for AT&T or Apple on this so my advice ask is not moral, but technical, what can I do? I don't care about the $300, but can this thing even be activated? Can I give it to my girlfriend who has a 4S on AT&T without issues? Or is it useless? Do I need a new SIM? Or should I have this thing unlocked and sell it?

2. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

3. ijfry macrumors newbie

Just grab a SIM and it should work. If it wasn't put through the authentication servers, one may even be unlocked.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Do what you want with it, you paid for it. Asking about ethical tells me that it doesn't bother you because you know the right thing to do. You should not need to ask. When I find something the first thing I do is to try and return it, and not ask people what I should do. Don't be surprised if AT&T find the mistake, after all you signed for both packages indicating that you did recieve them.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Are you sure that you haven't started an additional contract for the 2nd phone?

If you were to sell it, then it could come back to bite you in the ass.

6. arliu macrumors regular

7. itjw macrumors 65816

And they'll have no sympathy for you once you sell stolen property lol...

What are you going to say when they catch on? You signed for both. Going to lie? Or just tell them you think they make too much so you deserved it.

Thieves always think they'll get away with it. Always. Or they wouldn't try in the first place lol...

8. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

PM'd you my address. Send it to me, and i'll make sure it gets back to apple.

9. 617aircav Suspended

Exactly. He signed for two phones and if AT&T finds the mistake he will be on two contracts or return the phone.

10. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Ethically: return it to them and get $300 back
    Unethically: give to Gf and get a SIM card, or sell on ebay for $600 haha

Your choice.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not theft, they have purchased the product. That doesn't mean it's legally or morally right though.

12. kring thread starter macrumors regular

kring

How is it stolen? I was charged for $317.00 for it, it's just discounted not theft. And no I don't have two contracts setup.

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Since you asked for technical advise. You should just be able to take the phone to an Apple store and ask for a free nano sim. Then call AT&T and have them activate without ever going into their store.

I paid for my phone at Apple with no commitment price and they gave me a spare SIM. Just called AT&T on my way to work to activate the SIM and was all set.

That said, even though you didn't ask I'd say return it.

14. pHeNom macrumors regular

double check to make sure they didnt charge you for two phones..

15. Juicy111 macrumors member

same thing happened to me. Just that they were both on back order.

Called the store I pre-ordered it from and cancelled the one I didnt want.

Working a minimum wage job, I didnt want to get bit in the ass and get charged the full 675$ or so price tag for the extra iphone.

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do you actually read the first post? No where does it say this was stolen. If Apple or ATT sends it to him by mistake for free, then ethically he should inform them. In this case, he was charged for it – $300. This isn’t theft, it is simply a computer glitch. He can either sell or give to someone because he paid for it – making it his property.

17. kring thread starter macrumors regular

kring

They did. $317 each.

18. noteple macrumors 65816

Just return it for credit before you get banged full boat.

The ball is in your court

19. kring thread starter macrumors regular

kring

Thanks for the technical advice. I'm not a scumbag and I've given AT&T over $30,000 over the course of my contracts so they have made $29,900 in profit over the years. I've been screwed over by them at least a dozen time so I feel little remorse for a company that fleeces its customers. I have little real use for the phone but wasn't sure if this is worth the hassle. I'll probably return it in the end but wasn't sure if this thing will even be usable.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

I see no reason as to why it will be unusable. Once you have a nano - sim from , activating will be a walk in the park.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Each phone is attached to a phone number.

One is the for the phone number you ordered, right?

What number is the other one? If the same number, you are going to have a problem using it.

I would sit on it for a few days and wait for a call. No matter how morally correct it is to send it back, wait until they are ready to handle it correctly. Some idiot could easily turn off both phones.

22. kring thread starter macrumors regular

kring

Thanks for your thoughts, yes the first one is all setup and working, I haven't touched the other but the paperwork says it is setup for the same line but a different order number. So it's not a duplicate, it's actually a second order on my account. I am premier and I believe all those are manually done so the agent must have accidentally double ordered on my account. I am guessing like how the first iP5 upgrade went on Friday in that once I turned on the new phone it activated it and immediately bumped my old iphone4 off the network. My thoughts are if I just toss out the SIM without ever turning it on it probably won't bounce my new phone?

I'm 75% leaning on returning it at this point but just wanted to make sure I understand what is happening.

23. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

He paid $299 for each phone, he did pay for them. They charged him the wrong amount - At&t's fault