Advice please, is this the best way to install / migrate to my new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gmehje, Aug 19, 2009.

1. gmehje macrumors member

Hi all,
    Firstly many thanks to all who have helped me over the last few weeks. It's really appreciated and great to know that people can take time out of their busy schedules to help.

What I have now:
    Mac Book pro. Lots of applications inc, CS3. All are totally legitimate but can't find all serial number for all for a variety of reasons - hence I want to migrate applications etc.. Time machine on 1TB USB2 external. Other external TB disk with old clients work and photos video etc,

What I have purchased:

Mac pro Octo 2.93
    16GB RAM
    CS4
    245Gb SSD
    3x 2TB RE4 WD

(will purchase 4 bay Drobo backup soon and also use https://www.backblaze.com for extra safety)

What I intend doing:
    Using SSD for boot / applications - in optical bay
    Putting aside the 640GB (that comes with the computer) for Windows (when new version comes out later on in the year) in bay 4
    Running 3x 2TB RE4 in software RAID0
    Using Drobo to back up.

Is this the right order to do things - please help and I'm not sure about this at all;
    Clean up existing MacBook pro to delete unwanted files. Update system to latest OS. Copy client files/data to storage for now.
    Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone disk to external drive (I have a Freecom portable USB which has enough space)
    Go to new MacPro.
    Install SSD (what formatting should I use?)
    Transfer cloned drive to SSD (not sure how to do this). Boot from SSD to test.
    Take out existing 640Gb and store.
    Install 3 x new WD RE4 in first three bays (I assume that these are three on the right?). Use disk utility to RAID 0 them.
    Copy back over client files/data.
    Update CS3 to CS4.

Rest.

many thanks for any comments or advice, G

2. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

I think this might be better for you...

1. Upgrade MacBook to latest OS and upgrade CS3 to latest you have
    2. Clean up files - delete unneeded stuff and trim the fat
    3. Clone your MacBook boot drive to the SSD
    4. Install SSD, Move the 640GB to Bay 4 and install the 3 drives in Bays 1-3
    5. Boot from your SSD and RAID your drives with Disk Utility

Another way would be to do a Time Machine backup to the Drobo, then a clean install of the OS to the SSD and restore from that backup, but I'm not sure how much user data you have (I'm assuming you want to keep your user folder on the RAID amd the OS/Apps on the SSD?)

Bays 1-3 start from the left, by the way.

JP

3. gmehje thread starter macrumors member

Many thank Jp for your very helpful post.
    I see that cloning to SSD before I install this in MacPro might be a better way around. But how do I connect from MacPro to (external) SSD. I dont have any type of enclosure / leads?

I'll keep user fold on the RAid. Not purchased Drobo yet and wont have it for the weekend when i intend to do this.

Thanks for advice on bays!

Many Thanks

G

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Man, you've just spent my year's salary!:eek:

5. gmehje thread starter macrumors member

Hi Santabean.....not quite spent your years salary, but it took a while to save the cash.

Got the MacPro yesterday. Managed to get 256GB Crucial SSD and 16GB RAM before I ran out of cash so using existing drives for the moment.

Impressed with the speed. Timed a complex PS Action on my current Mac Book Pro 2.0 Core Duo - 645 seconds - New Mac pro 45 seconds!

Superb machine - very well made - a breeze to put in RAM and SSD in optical.

Need to get CS4 sorted as a company called pbsoftware.co.uk shipped me full education Design premium rarther than upgrade of 'normal' version. Not sure of restrictions so a bit wary of installing.

Anyone had any dealings with them? Or know what the restrictions are? Its a UK company but software seems to have come from USA.

G

6. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Install your blank SSD into the MP, connect the MBP to the MP via FireWire, boot your MBP, then boot your MP in FireWire target mode, by holding T on the keyboard while you boot. The MP will act as an enclosure while you do the clone.