Advice: Upgrade older MBP, or sell & buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacAztec, Nov 7, 2010.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I have a Late 2006 MBP, with a 2.16GHz Core2Duo, 15" Screen, good hard drive, etc. It's in mint condition (no dings or dents), but it's getting old. The battery doesn't last too long anymore, and I could definitely use a bit more speed.

I'm debating between selling it, and purchasing a newer (but used) MBP, or a 13" MBA (new model). Either way, I'd have to spend roughly $500 extra to get what I'd want.

On the other hand, I could upgrade the battery to something new (OWC's batteries), and maybe throw in a 256GB SSD drive.

Advice?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're looking to save some $$$, just buy a new battery, upgrade to a faster HDD or SSD with more capacity and max out your RAM.

I just did that a few weeks ago, minus the battery, with my early 2007 MBP and I feel good about it lasting another 3-5 years.

3. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

I would go for the new

there are some awesome new features and its always fun for a new computer :)

if the price is right, go for it and don't look back :)

4. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Research what you can get for the MBP. Apple computers hold their value amazingly well.

5. miata macrumors 6502

I would get the OWC battery and throw in an SSD to hold you over until the MBAs and MBPs converge over the next 6 months.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    If I were you I'd just get the battery and buy a new one next year when they upgrade it.

7. Alag28 macrumors 6502

or if u want to give me a good deal on it ill buy it off of u

8. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I was in a similar situation to you. I upgraded the RAM to 4 gb and installed Snow Leopard. My computer feels brand new now and I'm very happy with it. Unless you need a state-of-the-art computer for intensive applications, an upgrade will do just fine.

9. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

My laptop would fetch $700-$750 on the market.

A new battery would cost $80, and a new SSD would be about ~$170. It'd be safe to say that the upgrades all together would cost me $250.

My upgraded computer would fetch 4 hours of battery life. The 13" MBP (which can be found for roughly $950), fetches 8+ hours...

Tough choice.