Advice! Used 30'' Cinema Display for $1,000 on CL should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplenation, Jun 7, 2008.

1. simplenation macrumors member

Ok so i have been hunting for a cinema display for some time now and I finally stumbled across a possible deal. I found someone local selling a 2 year old used cinema display for $1000. No warrenty, no box, no receipt.. What are your thoughts? I was told that it was in perfect working order and I will have an opportunity to test the screen out before purchasing. Should i jump on this?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you can test it out and your machine can handle it, go for it.

3. simplenation thread starter macrumors member

yup i have a macbook pro to run it.. im a little worried about it failing on me in the future but i guess ill have to take a chance.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

great deal! congrats

5. oakkiller77 macrumors newbie

Look out

Yes, this sounds like a good deal. A couple pointers, make sure it does not have the "green / blue pixel effect". Look it up on apples forms and you will find it. I bought a 30" cinema display off of CL for $850. It was is perfect conduction. But I got it home, plugged it into my MBP (2.2gh) and after about 4-5 hours this "green pixel" effect started to happen. Luckily It has 1.5 years of apple care left on it so right now it is being fixed. But make sure it does not have this problem. It usley happens in the mid tones, and when the screen heats up. What happens is that the pixels will turn green and green "streaks" of the green pixels will fly across the screen. This is not a problem with the pixels, but from what i have heard, the chip inside.I will attach pic's of what happened to mine. Good Luck!

Attached Files:

6. simplenation thread starter macrumors member

wow, thank you so much for the response. If i bring my macbook pro to the guys house do you think ill be able to notice the issues right away? you mentioned it could take several hours of use before noticing.

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

just be careful when you go to see it. bring someone with you, scope out the area first to make sure you're comfortable before you go into the person's house (e.g., run away if there are 5 large, scary men hanging out there). there have been some scary craigslist-related thefts i've read about in the last few months (people getting jumped for their money when they think they're going to buy a computer or something else expensive). if this guy is not legit, they could be targeting people with laptops to steal when they come to test the monitor...